Applying decals?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Applying decals?

Post by itchyfeet »

I bought a Holdsworth roof sticker from Brickwerks, I could ask them but it's probably standard stuff so I thought sombedody here may know how to apply it.

Looks like just the letters get stuck on, they are stuck to a paper backing with a clear plastic sticky cover :?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/holdsworth-decal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks
Paul
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: Applying decals?

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Warm the area you want to put it on. (and clean and dry it obviously :P )
peel off the backing paper, pulling it away at 180 degrees to the film, don't just pull it up at 90*.
lay the dacal on and rub it with a cloth to smooth it out, if it's a big one it can be a bit tricky.
Rub it well with the cloth and leave for 15-20 mins. don't rush it.
carfully peel off the film, again at 180*, you might need to help the decal off the film with a scalpel.
Lay a bit of plastic film or somesuch shiny stuff over the decal and rub again to make sure it's stuck down.
Stand back and admire your handywork. :D
Don't prick any bubbles, they will disapear in a few sunny days.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Thanks but they seem firmly stuck to the backing paper film appears to come off the decal not the other way
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

If you havn't allready tried.... try giving it a good rub on a flat surface to warm it up and help it stick first before peeling.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Clean and degrease the area where it's to go, spray the surface with water from the wife's houseplant spray thing, peel the paper off, apply the decal onto the wet surface, the water will help it slide to position, use a plastic body filler spreader or similar to squeegee the water out, peel the transparent film off. Polish with a cloth.

Stand back and admire.

That it's on upside down :lol:

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Thanks, will try not to get it upside down :lol:

Getting ot off the backing is the issue, I think heat maybe needed as Bigbadbob says, only 3 quid of I mess it up no worries.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by nsjtaylor »

New Kentish Campers wrote:Clean and degrease the area where it's to go, spray the surface with water from the wife's houseplant spray thing, peel the paper off, apply the decal onto the wet surface, the water will help it slide to position, use a plastic body filler spreader or similar to squeegee the water out, peel the transparent film off. Polish with a cloth.
:

+1 ^^^^^^ Ensuring the surface is wet when applying the decal, positioning, then squeegee it out when in position, is essential for making your life easier. (Same for window tinting as well, as it goes).
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Based upon my experience with vinyl lettering, I would suggest you measure and position the decal carefully and then hold it in position with some masking tape. Then flip the decal up out of the way, surface prep as above and then start peeling the backing from one end at 180° with the decal against the van smoothing it through the front film as you go with and ice scraper or similar. Hopefully you should end up with your decal lined up and smooth and bubble free on your van and then you can remove the front film after, as above.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

daveroberts
80-90 Mem No: 15798

Post by daveroberts »

I did what "BBB" said on mine - bit of patience and care with a hairdryer to tease them off the backing, took a while and had to keep bringing the hairdryer back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 California AAZ

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

daveroberts wrote:I did what "BBB" said on mine - bit of patience and care with a hairdryer to tease them off the backing, took a while and had to keep bringing the hairdryer back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, it's getting them off the backing in the first place that's the problem.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks