Front jacking point - Advice please

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

porthyt
80-90 Mem No: 14116

Front jacking point - Advice please

Post by porthyt »

Hi,

I am sure that you can see the skim of filler cleverly disguising the rot of my front driver's side jacking point.

The section of the floorpan has rusted away but all around it is pretty solid as is the actual jacking point metal. Can you buy this bottom part with the floorpan section attached?

In terms of costing - I know it is a how long is a piece of string but realistically is this a few hours work for a decent welder - doesn't seem to large of a section.

Finally any recommendations of welders in/around Bristol?

p.s. Obviously I want to sort this but provided that I don't jack this section it is fine isn't it?

Thanks in advance
Josh

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Front jacking point - Advice please

Post by itchyfeet »

My guess is it will fail an mot

never used my jacking points for this reason, once they crunch the mot man will likely fail it, uncrunched they may last yeats longer before holes appear.

I jack from track arm at front and trailing arm at rear.

otherwise drive it no problem, you have chassis rails.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

porthyt

Post by porthyt »

Thanks. I can only seem to find the panel (painted red on my van), jacking point loop but not the floor pan that the jacking point attaches to.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The front jacking point was originally welded to the inner sill , you can buy reproductions of the sill with jacking point attached. If its just the front area thats rusty then new pieces of steel need to be made. When the rust and filler is removed you may find the lower part of the inner b post needs attention aswell.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

porthyt

Post by porthyt »

Thanks.

Yeh - I also think that there may be a bit of rust on the b-post panel but that's not very expensive.

Can't quite workout if I would need this: http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 03230.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this: http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/ ... 01252.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How does the jacking point loop attach to the first one? Surely the holes at the top of it encourage water to go in? Or is that attached to a solid floor pan? Lots of questions I know - but the more I know the better I can prepare myself.

Thanks
Josh

porthyt

Post by porthyt »

A well-reviewed VW bodywork an just quoted me £450 to repair this hole properly. How does that cost sound?

Thanks josh

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Dont rely on one quote . Get the mudflap off and dig out the filler and loose rust, its not easy to see whats going on when its been plodded up like that.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

rowlesy
80-90 Mem No: 1289

Post by rowlesy »

sent you a message. jacking points usually stay strong as there thick. its the lower "B" post inside and cover plate above that - that fail.
everytime you masterbate god kills a kitten! member 1289 does this still mean owt?

Wedgbury
80-90 Mem No: 15292

Post by Wedgbury »

porthyt just had Rowlesy sort both fronts on my van out and he has done an excellent job, so can recommend.