Best Bumper Paint Please

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kevcorks
80-90 Mem No: 14173

Best Bumper Paint Please

Post by kevcorks »

Hi

I am after a little advice as to the best paint to use on my big bumpers and plastic trim. As they are a mix of metal and plastic I am after something that will be a good match colour wise between the two surfaces whist giving me good protection from the elements. I am just after them being black too,

Many thanks

KevCorks
KevCorks

"Doreen" - 1990 Autohome Kameo 1.9 Petrol 5 Speed

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Best Bumper Paint Please

Post by New Kentish Campers »

You'd need a plastic primer for the plastic bits, obviously. The primer won't go over unprepared plastic either, it will need through degreasing first because the release agents used in their moulding process can make successful painting diffict. ( early F_ord Ka's were a prime example of aftermarket paint failure on the bumper end caps until the mould process altered:cry: ) Personally, I'd use a 2 pack and it's as used on new cars today whereas air dried products like acrylics or synthetics and cellulose won't flex as well and will soon begin to flake off. No idea about Rustoluem either...

And you can buy non-isocyanate 2k ( isocynates are highly toxic) paint but I've never tried them. Perhaps somebody else can comment please?

blakeys80
80-90 Mem No: 15374

Post by blakeys80 »

Hi Kevcorks, last year when we bought the camper, the bumpers were like something off a dodgem car, so after straitening them out i used a matt black spray can from the local 'Range' called Plasitikote, which is around £6 a tin, i used 2 cans to spray the bumpers, grille and wing mirrors, and to be honest its held up a lot better than i expected considering it being stood over winter etc. I got the tip from an american website.
It probably depends on what finish your after for the amount of outlay you want to spend really, but if you prep reasonably well it should be fine.

1981 LHD 2.0l CU with Twin Solex setup.

kevcorks
80-90 Mem No: 14173

Post by kevcorks »

Thanks for the advice guys
KevCorks

"Doreen" - 1990 Autohome Kameo 1.9 Petrol 5 Speed