What is this? Forgive my ignorance as a newbie

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sailsy
80-90 Mem No: 14857

What is this? Forgive my ignorance as a newbie

Post by Sailsy »

Hi all,

I need to change my 2 point lap belts in the back and was looking under the van to see where the seat belt bolts come through the bulkhead. They appear to go through the floor and are secured using a nut and washer only and are not attached to spreader plates. I plan to replace them with spreader plates from Brickwerks. However I noticed that on the underfloor of the van between the front of the bulkhead where the r and r bed attaches and the higher part of the rear just before the engine bay is covered by a layer of wading type material (see pic). It is peeling away a bit towards the bottom left of the pic. It seems to be held by metal loops. Pic is take from under the nearside rear arch.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z45 ... ny5ta1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this soundproofing or something else. I cant find any mention of it in the wiki or on the web. Can I remove it to allow access to attached my new r and r bed and seatbelt spreader plates?

Any help or advice most appreciated.

Andy
:D
1989 VW T3 Hi-Top Camper 1.9 DG Petrol 5 speed

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: What is this? Forgive my ignorance as a newbie

Post by Plasticman »

aye its bsoundproofing and move it to do as you wish , some folk bolt straight through ti ,
mm

Sailsy
80-90 Mem No: 14857

Post by Sailsy »

Cheers

I thought it was. I assume it isn't too difficult to remove and put back so I can fit the new belts and new r and r bed.

Cheers

Andy :D
1989 VW T3 Hi-Top Camper 1.9 DG Petrol 5 speed

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

just bear in mind, it may have been there for 30 years or more, mine disintegrated when I tried to remove it

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Yeah and is sorted of soaked in 30 odd years of oil, grime etc.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.