Axle stand placement

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

handsmann
80-90 Mem No: 13724

Axle stand placement

Post by handsmann »

Apologies if what looks like a simple matter has been dealt with before, I have looked on the Wiki and Archive.

Recently, I changed the bearings, front discs and ARB bushes on our camper and I jacked the van up using a bottle jack with a block of wood between it and the jacking point in each case - no problem there.

The obvious place to put the axle stand, which has a curved saddle, was under one of the 'fins' of the front outrigger in each case. I am annoyed with myself to see that the flat underside of this 'fin' has now curled slightly. And it's on both sides because I've worked on both sides of the van.

I'll have to live with that, but my question is: where would be a better place to locate an axle stand for that type of work that doesn't damage the van? I suspect I'm looking at an 'occupational hazard' which is a pity.

Many thanks,
Chris

I found this after I posted, though the thread got a bit lost and I don't think the OP got any feedback...

boatbuilder wrote:I put my axle stands on the outriggers. My 6 ton stands are just the right width to fit over them.
1985 RHD 1.9 DG, Pierburg 2E carburettor, high-top, no mods, wannabe mechanic

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: Axle stand placement

Post by boatbuilder »

handsmann wrote:Apologies if what looks like a simple matter has been dealt with before, I have looked on the Wiki and Archive.

Recently, I changed the bearings, front discs and ARB bushes on our camper and I jacked the van up using a bottle jack with a block of wood between it and the jacking point in each case - no problem there.

The obvious place to put the axle stand, which has a curved saddle, was under one of the 'fins' of the front outrigger in each case. I am annoyed with myself to see that the flat underside of this 'fin' has now curled slightly. And it's on both sides because I've worked on both sides of the van.

I'll have to live with that, but my question is: where would be a better place to locate an axle stand for that type of work that doesn't damage the van? I suspect I'm looking at an 'occupational hazard' which is a pity.

Many thanks,
Chris

I found this after I posted, though the thread got a bit lost and I don't think the OP got any feedback...

boatbuilder wrote:I put my axle stands on the outriggers. My 6 ton stands are just the right width to fit over them.

Just noticed that my outriggers have been dented slightly at the edges as well
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

From this thread on the samba:

I'm not sure what you mean by outriggers, but I typically put jack stands at A, B, C or D depending on where I'm working on the vehicle.. I also always put the spare under the van as an extra safeguard
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

handsmann
80-90 Mem No: 13724

Post by handsmann »

clift_d wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by outriggers, but I typically put jack stands at A, B, C or D...

Thanks for this link clift_d. I mean points B and D. I put the spare under the van too - and I'll be doing it again today as I try to wrestle a new steering rack gaiter into place :?

This is a great forum - thanks.

Chris
1985 RHD 1.9 DG, Pierburg 2E carburettor, high-top, no mods, wannabe mechanic