Best source for repair panels.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

davegsm82
80-90 Mem No: 0

Best source for repair panels.

Post by davegsm82 »

Been looking at replacement panels, have heard that 'klokkers' stuff isn't worth having.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thinking of replacing rear arches (probably full panels) and the front steps since my left one is rotted through. I'd prefer better quality if available.

Dave.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

ChrisTriple
80-90 Mem No: 12111

Re: Best source for repair panels.

Post by ChrisTriple »

http://www.alanhschofield.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that's the place the experts use :ok
84 Devon Sunrise PopTop, DF. Campershack LPG.
Full Body resto completed 04-17

http://www.T25Camper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

VW Heritage have original VW full panels.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

Thanks for the replies, It looks like Schofields make the one I need as it continues up to the floorpan, mine has holed here at the join. I'm going to repair it temporarily and get one of these on order. They are a little more pricey but certainly look the part.

With regards to the rear arch panels, is it recommended to use a better quality (i.e. more expensive) part here or would a standard JK/Klokkers one be just as good if prepared and sealed properly?

Cheers, Dave.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Post by bluebus1987 »

I've not got round to fitting it yet, but this is loads better quality than others I've seen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151585120677? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I fitted one of those last summer and to be honest, it wasn't too bad. Never as good as oe of course, but good enough providing you seal it and paint it properly. I'd rather fit one of those, or a kosher Heritage one, than disturb the rest of the upper section unless of course it's got a lot of rust anyway.

jacko1967

Post by jacko1967 »

I have just used two tall rear pannels this winter on my van and some rear lower ones too all came from schofields and iam happy with em they were well boxed up to

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I used klokkers tall arches on both sides and both steps. Thought they were ok, tall arches seemed very slightly too long, like a mm or so. Managed to squeeze em in although both warped a bit so it needed a skim of filler over the entire panel to get it flat. I grit blasted the useless black paint off and painted with epoxy primer so they should last a long time.
Front steps fitted well. Any panels need a bit of skill and expertise to get them fitted correctly.
I fitted two rear lower corners, can't remember what brand but they were a shockingly bad fit, like half an inch too high.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

I've never fitted panels before so this advice is very helpful, thanks.

Is there a guide somewhere or any advice anyone can offer on how to remove panels prior to replacement? I can only presume that in doing a rear panel you would need to cut the majority of the panel off and then un-pick the spot welds at the edges (I have a spot drill).

I have been repairing the front step today, lots of cutting and shaping little fillets of steel and butt-welding. I'll add some photo's if I can figure out a way of resizing them easily.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Yes that's the general idea. Use a 1mm blade in a 115mm grinder to cut around the edges of the panel, then drill out the spot welds and peel off the remnant. A sharp wood chisel is handy to pop the spot welds after you've drilled them but you'll have to keep sharpening it as it'll get chipped (use the grinder with grinding disc to sharpen it)

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Are you using photo bucket for your photos? I've found it be be the best out there at the moment.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

New Kentish Campers wrote:I fitted one of those last summer and to be honest, it wasn't too bad. Never as good as oe of course, but good enough providing you seal it and paint it properly. I'd rather fit one of those, or a kosher Heritage one, than disturb the rest of the upper section unless of course it's got a lot of rust anyway.
so would i but there isnt a "kosher heritage one" well not a vw OE item
the repros i have fitted a few and no issues at all , same with front arches , ok the OE is perfect but the repro is so good that im happy to fit them unless a customer specifies the OE
mm

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

boatbuilder wrote:Are you using photo bucket for your photos? I've found it be be the best out there at the moment.

Yea I'm using that but from my phone, doesn't seem to be a bulk resize option in the Android App.

I was using those 1mm discs today, they make very light work of sheet steel, I had to use them to cut some very interesting shapes.

Dave.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

bobby-gg
80-90 Mem No: 11794

Post by bobby-gg »

Dave, I've got an Alan Scofield rear wheel arch up at the unit and I'll be there tomorrow if you want to come and look at the quality

Rob

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

Hi Rob,

Might do that if I get a chance, will be after 2pm probably, will you be there?

cheers, Dave.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'