Sliding door side rear arch repair

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

Sliding door side rear arch repair

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Hi Peeps

Been a while since I have posted as I haven't touched the van for over a year thanks to my back surgery.

Went out today to poke some rusty bits and the arch on the rear passenger side drained like a paddling pool when the poker went through it. So I cut it out to investigate.

Looks like there is a bit of a hole in the pillar to the left of the arch. (I will also be sorting that bubbling too)

So a couple of questions:

1. Where the heck can that water have come from? Can it run down from the rear vents into this area? If so is there some sort of drain hole that is clogged.
2. To unpick that panel will I need to remove the sliding door to get at the folded edge?

Cheers in advance
Cyrus
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Sliding door side rear arch repair

Post by Plasticman »

Look further down here for ,"sills both sides etc"
I've just dine it and its pertinent in so far ad it will show you exactly what MAY be involved :wink:
mm

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Water usually comes from windows leaking, especially cut in windows, or holes in the inner arch.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Thanks metalmick8y. Found the thread, very useful. Whilst I was out there I noticed my sliding door u channel also needs replacing (also referenced another of your threads so I am prepared for that one)

Hi Itchyfeet, I can't see any holes in the inner arch and the van has been sat for nearly a year so I guess the leak could be minor, just accumulating over that time. The only windows in the back are in the slider and the tailgate. I have had a hunt around for any other wet areas but cannot see any. I will wire brush off the stone chip from the inner arch to see if there are any pinholes I couldn't see.

Thanks both, will post some progress pics when I get a chance.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

thecyrusvirus wrote: the arch on the rear passenger side drained like a paddling pool when the poker went through it.

I found exactly the same when I did mine a few weeks back. See http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=150329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Despite a good search, I haven't found where the water came from. I now have a drain hole though!

Sorry, I know that's not much help.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

take your slider cover off , prob horrible behind there and take some pickies of the inside
mm

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Cheers mm, if the weather holds out tomorrow I will do, only had about an hour with no rain today. Not helpful when trying to work on the driveway.

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Post by Just_Kitt »

Hello All!

I have this exact same problem in my van - did any one ever find out where the water is leaking in from? I'm considering leaving a drainage whole to but would rather not!
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van