fitting a westy pop top

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nikalele
80-90 Mem No: 9209

fitting a westy pop top

Post by nikalele »

Hi All,

I have undertaken the task of trying to fit a westy pop top to my van....

While the paint is drying id like to get some ideas on how to best line the thing up before I cut a giant hole in the roof :shock: . I am lucky in that I currently have a tiny little sky light in the middle of the tin top that I can remove and just about squeeze into the hole to stand up the in the middle of the van. I have access to some scaffolding to go around the van also, which should help.

I am going for a method similar to this...

http://archive.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic ... 380cb2f56d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will be making the frame myself and should have the profiles bent by tomorrow.

The main thing that is bothering me is getting the rear hinges and the latch in the correct places..

Has anyone does this DIY style that can give me any pointers?

Thanks in advance!

Nic

Blue str
80-90 Mem No: 7354

Re: fitting a westy pop top

Post by Blue str »

http://www.westfaliat3.info/Mosaik-Joker_PoptopRoof.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's my van in the link you posted.

I used the info in the above link to mark out position of hinges etc.

We did the job on two step ladder and some hop ups.

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

Ah nice! you did a great job with your roof, and your post with all the pics has had me inspired!

I am wondering how you marked up the hole locations from the above link as it doesn;t have any dimensions on it?

I am thinking that i might be able to locate the rear hinges by loosely strapping down the rear hinges onto the roof with racket straps, then jiggling the poptop around until it looks good, nd then tightening up the straps to clamp the hinges onto the roof. After they are clamped down I would mark the hole positions...

I think this might just work..

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers!

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

Bump..

Any got any suggestions how to mark the holes for the pop top? The link above is good at giving you an idea of roughly where / how many holes are needed, but would be good to have some tips from someone who has done this..

Anyone?

Cheers!

Blue str

Post by Blue str »

Hi there.

Sorry I don't get on here much.

I was lucky when I purchased my roof from lance (vw venom), he had a template for the hinge holes.
We simply marked it out with a sharpie and I drilled them out at a later date.

I could take some measurements for you if you like.

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

Blue str, that would be a great help!

A couple more questions for you.. :D

the latch at the front of the pop top, does this bolt down through the little lip on structural beam underneath or just infront (/behind i.e. towards the back of vehicle)? I have a little strip that this latch bolts into and it seems to be the same width as the lip on the structural beam..? hope that make sense hah!

I have read somewhere about cutting the seal at the back of the roof, to make it sit right? any idea what this might refer to?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers!

Blue str

Post by Blue str »

Hi there.

Yes that's correct. The front latch bolts through the rear lip of the structural beam.

Not sure what you mean about cutting roof seal?
I didn't cut anything and the roof fits fine on the tin top.

I'm away in my camper this weekend so I'll get some pics for you.

adyjoad
80-90 Mem No: 10668

Post by adyjoad »

Buy the proper moulded seal from Vwbusshop.de and it has the cut outs already there. They have a section missing from the bottom of the seal at both pointy bits at the back of the roof. Let's the seal bend around the sharp points more easily and stops the seal from gathering and stopping the roof sitting down.

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

Ah i see, that would make sense as it is a bit bunched up in the corners. trouble is iv already bought one from AH Schofields...

Do I risk cutting it? :shock:

adyjoad
80-90 Mem No: 10668

Post by adyjoad »

Send it back and get a refund. The proper one is a one piece seal and much nicer.

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

unfortunately for me, iv already fitted the seal and cut the ends to size...and the one piece seal is twice the money and im a tight a*** haha

Someone must have fitted one of the AH schofield pop top seals or similar? Did you have to trim the corners?

Has anyone got a pic of this molded corner bits? dont want to go hacking away without knowing what im doing..

Oh and I cut a big hole in the roof today :shock: