Water leaking into passenger footwell

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

colouredFunk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Water leaking into passenger footwell

Post by colouredFunk »

Lots of water coming through to the footwell. The van has recently come out of the body shop to there are no holes around the a pillar or anywhere else, so I've no idea where it's coming from... Window seal is new too..

Anyone else having this problem?

Reimotim
80-90 Mem No: 10331

Re: Water leaking into passenger footwell

Post by Reimotim »

Seals may not be seated properly.
Windscreen washer jets not sealing.
Is it a high top?

Cheers
Tim
1990 LHD Hi-top JX 5Speed.
3:16 cx

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

No it's a tintop.

I've recently replaced the washers with news ones, and visually look to be seated OK.

I'm presuming the seal is fitted OK, the leak was there with the old seal too :shock:

On the previous seal I ran abo(something)?? sealant all the way round too!??

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

To nail it, it'll pay to roll back mat/carpet on that side so floor is bare on an evening rain is forecast. That way you can at least nip out there and try to ascertain the exact source. A small mirror and a torch will be useful.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

When the wonderful (sic) "Williams Auto Body" fitted new seals to my Tin-Top a couple of years ago, one of the rear side ones leaked. I kind of re-seated it (read:- jiggled it about, pressed it home, generally massaged it, using no sealer) and surprise surprise it fixed it.

The washer jests and wiper spindles could also be suspects. Suggest thoroughly drying it all, then, temporarily using summat like Vasaline to weatherproof those areas, then see if water still gets in.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

After having a leaky smart roadster I removed the carpet and covered everywhere with talcum powder, found the leak quickly + car smells nice, just choose a manly brand unless you want it to smell like a boudoir.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

dam it! I thought I had fixed it but the rain this morning found a way!! Originally I thought it was coming through the washer jet, but it seems to be coming 15cm ish to the left (from inside). I did whack a load of plumbers-mate in the just in case. I've also lined the bottom seal with arbomast sealant (window to rubber)

I've managed to take a picture of the leak -

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

What kind of windscreen seal is in there? Where did it originate? Pics might help.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

No good doing just the bottom where the drip is - often the water gets under the top and travels down to a low point where it comes out.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Funny enough I've got the same. New German front screen rubber which seems a good fit. I've just come in having wire brushed round the holes in the step and applied Vactan. Put talk down in passenger footwell and now hoping for rain or I'll have to drag the hose through. Now on to order some rustoleum.
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

When I fit windscreen seals I run a thin bead of black roofing mastic underneath the lip (doesn't need much) then wipe off any excess with white spirit. It stays pliable and makes a completely watertight seal. Cheap to buy in B&Q and other places. Purists will say you shouldn't need it but in the real world....

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

That's what I used arbomast sealant for, but did window to rubber (as recommended by an auto window fitter) but it makes more sense to run a bead between the rubber and van instead

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Put it between rubber and van, I've had 3 windscreen rubbers fitted (good quality) and ALL have leaked. Put proper windscreen fitters sealant on and all good
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I'm hoping to refit all the windows this coming weekend in the van that I've just done, using this eBay supplied windscreen sealant, item number: 280972348440.

Your leak could well be coming from the windscreen, if, presumably, it was removed when in the body shop? If you are able to do the job yourself, then pop the screen out, throughly clean the rubber, off the glass, put it back on and then apply a neat bead of the sealant around the bodywork, but at the outside edge, not inside or it will get dragged back in the van when you pull the screen string to seat the glass and give you a filthy mess to clean up :(

If I can, I'll take some pictures when I do mine so you can see what's involved. :ok

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

yep that did it, finally got round to putting sealant all the way round, and now no more leaks :)

Thanks for the tips and advise :ok