Replacing Chrome window trim ....

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gavpower
80-90 Mem No: 0

Replacing Chrome window trim ....

Post by gavpower »

Ok so I've a new van , it's a westy with the chrome window trim . They as always have faded ...is this an easy diy job to replace ....I've read on here where to get the trim from ..but can't seem to find if its an easy job to do or not ? ....any help would be great 8)

Jawin89
80-90 Mem No: 13200

Re: Replacing Chrome window trim ....

Post by Jawin89 »

Easy enough if you take your time. Use plenty of soapy water and get yourself one of these. Not the cheapest but makes installing so much easier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-Car-Cara ... 2a551a43e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1989 1.9 WBX pop top

gavpower

Post by gavpower »

Thanks for the reply ....do I need that tool just to replace the Crome trim ? I was hoping to reuse my old rubbers and just replace the faded trim .

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Try it without and you'll soon discover why you need it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You may need to squeeze the diamond a little to get it the correct size for the insert - I had to on mine.(You can get various sizes so get the one that is closest and open up/close the diamond to fit). The only place that I could get the exact profile insert for my Caravelle was VWHeritage. Most places sell the wrong profile so look carefully at the end profile of yours before you buy the insert as the correct one is pricey! Mine isn't the same size insert all the way round either so check that also.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

gavpower

Post by gavpower »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:You may need to squeeze the diamond a little to get it the correct size for the insert - I had to on mine.(You can get various sizes so get the one that is closest and open up/close the diamond to fit). The only place that I could get the exact profile insert for my Caravelle was VWHeritage. Most places sell the wrong profile so look carefully at the end profile of yours before you buy the insert as the correct one is pricey! Mine isn't the same size insert all the way round either so check that also.

Great advice thanks for that :D

wxm1873
80-90 Mem No: 12856

Post by wxm1873 »

Just done one of mine two more to do :shock: :?

Once it got going it was fine , the corners were the worst and it doesn't help with the trim having kinks in it

Plenty of lubricant to assist with it going in helped too
Caravelle CL 1.9 DF 1987 LHD

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If doing it in cold weather put it in a bucket of hot water to make it easier to bend and work quick. Can use a sponge with boiling water on to help those tricky corners.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶