Robsey's Rusty Wreck.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

User avatar
Robsey
Posts: 108
Joined: 19 May 2012, 20:45
80-90 Mem No: 11137
Location: East Manchester

Re: Robsey's Rusty Wreck.

Post by Robsey »

More new parts...
There is a lot of work to do, so I got 2 litres of etch primer.

Troy wanted to try this one....
Image

Also arriving in time for the weekend, we have the blower motor and the heater-box foam kit.
(Something for the weekend Sir?).

Image

Image

I have already 'split' the heater box casing ready for work to begin.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF.
Soon to have a whizzy DJ.

User avatar
Robsey
Posts: 108
Joined: 19 May 2012, 20:45
80-90 Mem No: 11137
Location: East Manchester

Re: Robsey's Rusty Wreck.

Post by Robsey »

As promised -
With a mostly dry Sunday, I was able to strip, wash and partially refurb the heater box assembly.

Before - wearing 30-odd years of dust and rust

Image

Image

An array of parts to be cleaned, painted and refurbed.

Image

A nice clean heater box casing.

Image

The heater matrix appears to be in reasonable condition so is going to be refitted.
Along with the new motor.

The motor and matrix installed complete with new foam insulation.

Image

I was impressed with the fit of the Brickwerks foam strips.

It appears that the heater box has been opened up before by someone called "RL".
Unfortunately one of the plastic baffle foam-retainers is missing.

I have loosely assembled the box for now.

I will need to borrow a foam punch from work, so that I can assemble the foam strips onto the baffles.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF.
Soon to have a whizzy DJ.

User avatar
Robsey
Posts: 108
Joined: 19 May 2012, 20:45
80-90 Mem No: 11137
Location: East Manchester

Re: Robsey's Rusty Wreck.

Post by Robsey »

Week fourteen.

A pleasant evening in a few ways.
Firstly, by sheer luck, I found the missing baffle foam-retainer in a bag full of parts in the van.
So it must have fell out of the blower casing a long time ago.

Saves me making another, as they have not been available to buy for a very long time.

Secondly a bit more progress on the van itself.

I made a piece to repair the B post lower section. The rear corners had quite large radii, so I formed the metal sheet around a round torx key shank, up against the bender stop.

The square-ish "U" shaped piece to the right.
Image

I was pleased to find that it did not need much tweaking to make it fit.

The forward b post panel that was made last week was screwed back into place, and then welded.

Here is an action shot of the forward facing panel being spot-welded in place.

Image

Any gaps or tricky bits were plug or seam welded into place.

Image

Image

Before you know it, it was 12:45 am.

There is just the forward corner of the B post to finish, before the wheel arch can be fitted.

The bottom piece can go in any time after that.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF.
Soon to have a whizzy DJ.

User avatar
Robsey
Posts: 108
Joined: 19 May 2012, 20:45
80-90 Mem No: 11137
Location: East Manchester

Re: Robsey's Rusty Wreck.

Post by Robsey »

The heater blower is now assembled complete.

Flaps rust treated and painted.

Image

Flaps all assembled.
I made sure that the foam and retainer plates were not going to come loose.
I evo-stik'ed them in place.

Image

Motor wired up ready for the PWM module.

Image

The casing fully assembled to the heater control levers.

Image

What is odd, is that the my heater box does not resemble any assemblies in Haynes nor the various Youtube videos.

This flap assembly is mounted differently to the equivalents on all other vans that I have seen.

Image

Image
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF.
Soon to have a whizzy DJ.

Post Reply