Sliding door retaining latch

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Sliding door retaining latch

Post by 937carrera »

I have just bought a T25 camper project (1981 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive) which needs some body work fixing, in what I believe are the usual places - I'll be coming back for lots of help on that matter later when I have some better photos.

Before I get stuck into that there are a few little jobs I'm trying to solve.

According to the history file a 'replacement sliding door has been fitted. It opens and closes fine, though I think the alignment can be improved. The first niggle is that the latch to hold the door open does not seem to be working. From a quick inspection tonight there doesn't seem to be a spring in the latch mechanism and the door when fully slid back does not go far enough for the latch to engage.

Is this perhaps a consequence of a late door being fitted to an early van ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Re: Sliding door retaining latch

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Late doors can't really be fitted to an early van, well, not without a lot of work. The same has happened to mine but I've not got round to looking at it yet. Pictures of the door will always help. Are you sure it's a late door?
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Thanks for that. I have only owned a T25 for 48 hours so am at the start of my learning journey, so far I had read that there was a difference but didn't know how big the difference was and that for some reason it is important to know what the original shell / glass type was to further refine the original design of the door. I really don't know if the door is early or late, but should really assume it's an early.

Anyway. you asked for photographs, so here are some I managed to take earlier today :)

First the door in the open position, this in intended to show how far back it goes, I haven't yet found out how to check the adjustment but this may be obvious for those with the experience.

Next here's a picture of the internal part of the door showing the gap between the latch and the door mechanism it is supposed to engage in. I assume the finger is supposed to be spring loaded, but it isn't and am wondering if this is a deliberate modification or a failure

Last edited by 937carrera on 09 Feb 2018, 13:36, edited 2 times in total.

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Well that's certainly an early door. I too was thinking it could be a failed spring. If I ever get round to looking at it before you I will share my thoughts. Although this won't be top of the agenda for sometime. Good luck with yours; I've seen your other thread. Plenty to do there but all achievable!
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

neil3965
80-90 Mem No: 5726

Post by neil3965 »

Yup, that hook/finger should be spring-loaded. Could be a failed spring, or just rusty and stiff.

Easy to get at - remove cover plate over sliding door track (remove two posi screws from underneath at either end), pull out bottom edge slightly to clear tabs, and persuade upwards (might need a whack from a rubber mallet).

You'll be able to see the problem then. To remove the latch, slide the door to halfway open, lift the rear end off the rail (look for notch on bottom of rail), slide door forward again (carefully keeping it vertical) and rest the bottom edge of the door on some form of support (axle stand, block of wood). The latch is held on with two posi panhead bolts.
Cheers, Neil

----------
1982 Volkswagen T25 (Devon Camper)
Engine: 2.0L A/C petrol (CU)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

That's really useful Neil and you have kindly confirmed that the cover plate over the sliding door is just held in place by two screws.

The latch is completely free to move so it's definitely the spring that is missing.

I just need to decide to fix this now, which means I'll have to take the door off again to do my seam rust elimination, or later, which means I save on my labour, but risk scratching new paint doing the mechanicals. Decisions, decisons........ :)

Bluebell1983
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Bluebell1983 »

Did you find out what this spring was called? I can't find it anywhere and don't know how it fits on.

The air-cooled and water-cooled seem to have different versions

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

Try this. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=173815
I still haven’t gotten round to doing something about it, if I need to I just use my finger to move the latch. 
84 Caravelle 1.9DG