Rusty screws

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rusty screws

Post by mike9009 »

I have probably gone too far down a route I probably don't want to go.........

Nevertheless, I am in the process of taking the dashboard out to replace the heater motor.

Everything is going well except for one rusted screw at the back of the dash close to the windscreen. I thought it might be a pig before starting so drenched it in plus gas overnight before starting. Alas this did not work, so I rounded the screw off (not intentionally!)

I am now trying to drill this out - admittably with some drill bits of unknown pedigree (except they are metal cutting). Running drill speed slowly with plenty of oil, but they are hardly touching the screw.

Had a quick look round the net and cobalt drill bits seem to be the recommendation. Just seeking any further advice?

Thanks

Mike

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: Rusty screws

Post by boatbuilder »

Use a decent pair of vice grips..
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Aye, if you get a good clamp on it with proper mole grips not shiny cheapo chinese ones, you'll only need a slight turn to shift it. Otherwise, the small head from an Irwins rusty bolt extractor kit will move it. Forget drilling out and trying to use those thunderbird 2 screw extractors too. Never had one of those work ever. If I had to call out International Rescue and they turned up with one of those on a low loader, I'd be straight on the phone to their Dad.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

Thanks guys,

My cheapo Chinese mole grips did the trick eventually. After drilling somewhat fruitlessly for an hour, I had a brew to consider things again.

I attacked it from under the dash instead - managed to get the grips on to the reverse side of the screw. This loosened it and five minutes later - BINGO.

Thanks

Mike

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Good result. Nice when it works out like that. Now comes the fun part. :lol:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I've never had much luck with mole grips - proper "Irwin" vice grips every time for me! :ok
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

I am now feeling slightly stupid/ confused. :oops: :oops:

So, I have successfully got the dash out. My van is a 1981 2.0L air-cooled.

I have been using the Wiki and a Haynes manual for doing this. The Haynes manual is pretty useless - but it does mention that there are two heating systems. An early one without a fresh air blower and a later one with a blower.

My heating system hardly pushes out any air - so I 'assumed' the blower must be dead/ dying, hence following the Wiki. Now I have it all apart I do not think I have a blower! Can someone confirm - as nothing is mentioned in the Wiki. I bought the blower from JK which stated it covered all T25s from 1979 until whenever.

Can someone clarify for me?? And how should my heating system work / feel?? I have tried searching the web to no avail....

Thanks again all.

Mike

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

You are correct. No blower. Don't feel too bad as there are loads of jobs you can do with dash out. Your heating is provided by two heat exchangers underneath the engine. From there they are routed via two flexible pipes/conduit into the vehicle. Each exchanger should have a lever on it which opens a flap and lets the heat through. The cables that go to these flaps may be missing or broken, flaps seized, levers missing etc. You need to get under to look at those. You can also wedge flaps open to have constant heat.

However with dash out, regrease wiper linkage, check washer pipes and replace if required. Also tidy up your wiring.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

If you want a bit more puff from your heater fit a 3" bilge blower into the ducting behind the radiator grill. Obviously your heat exchangers, pods etc need to be working first.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

My dash is now back in. I think the Wiki should be updated too, to include the different heater arrangements. Reinstalling the two bolts for the steering column is simply a couple of M8 x 20mm bolts - not clearly defined in the wiki either. Luckily it took less than 45 minutes to reinstall. :ok :ok

The issue I was having, is that there is no umph in the system and it seems to be blowing (seeping) hot air all the time. It can feel pretty unbearable in the recent hot weather. All the flaps under the dash seem to be functioning correctly - I guess I will need to get underneath and check the others too. Thanks for helping a willing amateur!

Planning an oil change later this week - no doubt something unusual will happen and I will be back here again!! :D :D

Mike

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.