Stuck door

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gracon73
80-90 Mem No: 11812

Stuck door

Post by gracon73 »

The passenger door has got stuck, it was locked when it wasn't closed properly and now I cant open or shut it. The key wont turn the lock and basically I have no idea how to fix it. Any ideas would be appreciated :?
Graeme & Freya owners of Betty the VW T25 Viking 2.0 4 speed, air cooled, petrol van.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Stuck door

Post by Plasticman »

odd, anyhows ive just gone and tried one of mine out of interest,
door open of course :lol: :wink: and flipped the latch to half way and tried to lock it with key and button to no avail, so something has fecked up,
can you move the door in to latch fully? worth a try but if its solid then the lock must have malfunctioned internally or something has got caught up.
mm

Flyingchunk
80-90 Mem No: 11572

Post by Flyingchunk »

I think I can help.

This happened to me on holiday.

The Bowden cable needed tightening on my door, but had also popped out of its fixings

Remove the fwd fixings of the door card as well as the sliding door handle.

The door card should peel back allowing you to see the interior of the door.

There is a long flexible tensile wine called the Bowden cable running from you door lock / opening handle to the rear of the door.

Check the cable hasn't jumped out of its fixing / bracket holder to the rear of the door just before the rear mechanism. You may need to ease it back into the bracket if it has jumped out (I actually pushed mine out of the bracket or originally by pushing on the door from the outside).

To open the door, reach past the cable and slightly up to the area where you can see a large coiled spring. This is the latch to allow the rear of the door to come away. Pull it towards the front of the van, you should hear a click, and you are away and have the door open.

If you suspect the Bowden cable has stretched, get yourself an adjustable spanner and look for the ridged threaded part of the Bowden cable just aft of the lever mechanism at the front of the door.

The nut aft of the ridged metal piece causing tension on the cable does the adjusting, the nut fwd to the ridged metal piece secures the cable. Tighten the cable so you door operates without issue again.

If your having lock issues also, you may need to insert a small screwdriver in the half moon shaped aperture just down from the door lock and unlock the door from the inside.

This may all sound complicated, but it's not. Once you get the door open and stop sweating bullets, leave the door card hanging off if you need to use the van and have no time to investigate further. You'll just need to get in via the front and unlock the rear using a more manual method than usual.

Hope this helps!!!
Last edited by Flyingchunk on 13 Aug 2014, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
1981 - Devon Moonraker - 2.0l Aircooled

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Hehe it would help except he said pass door as in cab door nor slider

mm

Flyingchunk
80-90 Mem No: 11572

Post by Flyingchunk »

Ahhh....

The key barely unlocks mine in the passenger door now. Very stiff...etc etc.

Sometimes I have to hit the out side handle to release the door handle trigger so it pops out, and protrudes towards the door. Then sometimes I can just about do it.

Otherwise I have to open it from the inside.

Sounds like a door card off / take it apart job. Can't be too difficult. Haynes manual would probably help.

It can't be more complicated than the sliding door surely, and a dumb ass like me fixed that. :shock:
1981 - Devon Moonraker - 2.0l Aircooled

gracon73
80-90 Mem No: 11812

Post by gracon73 »

Thanks for the info, Metalmick8y I hope you get yours sorted too. Feel bad if it's broken!

I thought the best way would be to take the door card off and try to get my hand in. I'll have a play at the weekend.

For info though the door is stuck solid and won't move forward or backward, there is a little movement upwards but not enough to free it. Looks like an exciting weekend with my arm stuck in the door :run
Graeme & Freya owners of Betty the VW T25 Viking 2.0 4 speed, air cooled, petrol van.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

theres nothing wrong with my doors,i was merely confirming the actions
post a picky of your door and the gap at the closure(rear end)
mm