singer industrial sewing machine

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

singer industrial sewing machine

Post by scottbott »

went to do an annual inspection on an NHS wheelchair today and noticed a big old sewing machine in the room,it is on incredibly heavy table and frame,the only numbers I could see were 96-49 but cannot find much about it online,I bought it for 120 quid,hope I have not been ripped off,the owner assures me it works fine,will try and arrange to collect thursday,never used one before and hope to have a go at new upholstery for the rear seat,god knows where I am going to pit it though
Nil carborundum illegitimi

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: singer industrial sewing machine

Post by boatbuilder »

Singer are a great brand. There just so happens to be a "Singer sewing machine Shop" in a local town here - seriously, that's all that they do!
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

i bought some from the local uni when they changed out ,all singers ,there are many different ones for specific jobs post up a pick when you get it
mm

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

ok,my wife thinks I am stupid buying it,but if I do not get on with it I reckon I can sell it on,but cannot wait to pick it up,trouble is I have waaay too many things on the go at the same time

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Industrial as well as older type machines are perfect for upholstery whereas modern plastic machines are not. Mines a Hillman! Very proud of it. Ignore the wife.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

any particular reading to recommend about how to use a sewing machine/vehicle upholstery?,or just you tube everything

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Lots on Youtube and there are some very good books about. Check your library and if you find one that makes sense - order a copy. Grab scrap materials and practice like hell. If you get good at it you'll be in demand. Watch it though - its addictive. You may also get help from a lass who already has one and little old ladies that can sew are only too glad to teach I found. Some colleges do courses.

It annoyed me that I had to do metalwork at school. Sewing seemed way more useful - plus the girls were in there. I was officially the first lad in the whole of the UK to do domestic science when 'options' came in, in the early 70s. Head teacher insisted I'd be ridiculed. I was not. The skills have lasted me a bloomin lifetime. How times have changed since!

You got a bargain there. Get it serviced if it needs it. They are a marvel of clever engineering - makes a T25 look like lego in comparison. If you do sell, put me first on the list.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

CovKid wrote:Lots on Youtube and there are some very good books about. Check your library and if you find one that makes sense - order a copy. Grab scrap materials and practice like hell. If you get good at it you'll be in demand. Watch it though - its addictive. You may also get help from a lass who already has one and little old ladies that can sew are only too glad to teach I found. Some colleges do courses.

It annoyed me that I had to do metalwork at school. Sewing seemed way more useful - plus the girls were in there. I was officially the first lad in the whole of the UK to do domestic science when 'options' came in, in the early 70s. Head teacher insisted I'd be ridiculed. I was not. The skills have lasted me a bloomin lifetime. How times have changed since!

You got a bargain there. Get it serviced if it needs it. They are a marvel of clever engineering - makes a T25 look like lego in comparison. If you do sell, put me first on the list.
no you werent i did the dom science equivalent(called cooking) :lol: in the 60's with a mate, we also did dancing as you say it got us first hand with the girls :D
mm

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Everyone had a go in the 60s but it didn't became a real option for boys until the 70s. Can never understand why given that so many Chefs are male. They must learn somewhere.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Must have been fortunate to go to an enlightened school
Hehe
mm

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

I did domestic science after sitting my CSE's,made victoria sponge and stuff like that,the girls did woodwork,we also had a couple of good school trips one was to the Tiger brewery,walk around then Free samples!,some sickness on the bus back to school from some of the lightweights,we also had a trip to the Van Houten chocolate factory,also free samples given out,could not make that trip unfortunately,my dad was in the RAF and we were posted to RAF Changi from April 1967 to 1969,happy,happy day's

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

I've got a couple of old sewing machines from my Mum[ vintage German Pfaff and a mid 80s Singer] who was a seamstress- handy in the mid 70s for a young punk who wanted his flares taken in to make "pooh" stopper trousers and zips stitching on everything :) . I've used them both over the years to knock up seat covers and made some cushions out of coffee/seed potato sacks. Never did domestic science at my old school, had to make do with making a lizard in metalwork and a tea towel holder in woodwork :roll: .
David
the future is unwritten

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

collected the sewing machine today but is in the workshop at work at the moment,hope to bring it home tomorrow in the camper and hope the stepdaughters boyfriend is there to give me a hand put it in the garage,it weighs an absolute ton,no way I can pick it up myself,was thinking about bringing home old vinyl cushions from old wheelchairs and cutting them up to practice on

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

just checked the serial number online and it was made in 1938!,December 16th to be precise
Last edited by scottbott on 31 Jul 2014, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

scottbott wrote:I did domestic science after sitting my CSE's,made victoria sponge and stuff like that,the girls did woodwork,we also had a couple of good school trips one was to the Tiger brewery,walk around then Free samples!,some sickness on the bus back to school from some of the lightweights,we also had a trip to the Van Houten chocolate factory,also free samples given out,could not make that trip unfortunately,my dad was in the RAF and we were posted to RAF Changi from April 1967 to 1969,happy,happy day's
Hehe Tenga
mm