Compost Camper

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Re: Compost Camper

Post by bluebus1987 »

Hard to get at to get a better view with the wheel on, so some from inside aswell.

I'm repairing the lip in sections but want to have the new panel as a reference.
I think I've come to the conclusion that the best way to go is to repair the inner arch with proper metal and use the bare minimum of the new arch panel.
I dont want to cut out any original I dont't have to, but I equaly don't want a patchwork of original and thin new stuff.
This is of course all dependant on weather etc, so I realy must stop prevaricating and make some progress.
It's going to have to get a test on it as soon as major bits are dealt with, even if that means patching and covering some stuff for now.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

your doing about all you can in that situation
mm

kingcal
80-90 Mem No: 13607

Post by kingcal »

Sorry to crash the thread...what's the paint code/colour name of your camper, such a nice shade of blue.

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

I never realy found out for sure what the colour is. The (bad) paint job was done by the previous owner to the guy I bought the van from. He said he thought it was Matisse blue but I couldn't find a reference to that at the time. I did however see a lot daewoo matiz's with a very similar bright blue.
It is known in our house simply as Blue Van because it is indeed very blue and also to differentiate between our other van, known as Silver Van, which is blue but a very silvery blue metalic.(We have small children!).
It will need a full paint job at some point, and I'd think hard before choosing another colour.

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... =0&ndsp=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There you go,

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

But then again.....
http://www.aladyinlondon.com/wp-content ... G_1855.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cobalt blue would make sense.

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

before I owned it and newly painted.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/uploa ... iesvan.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kingcal
80-90 Mem No: 13607

Post by kingcal »

Cheers for the info, much appreciated.

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

Some small progress made.
Rear arch on as well as is it will be. I got the gaps nice and tight and the rear swage line ok, but the front swage is miles out and will require more work if its ever going to look right.
I thought I should attend to a little rot in the rear crossmember before fitting the bottom corner panel. It was full of what I can only describe as quite appropriately, compost!!

I'm not at all happy with my welding on the inner arch but it will have to do.
Note the small rectangle of rust that was completely covered in sealantthat was sound all around it. There was no sign that this was here untill I scraped it back.
At least its on and looks ok.
Till you look closer.

Very little gap though.
Bought this.
Pretty sound where it counts.
So anyone got any ideas about where to cut the front arch to fit, or repair the new one where it needs it and fit as a whole. Although the join that runs under the carpet by the seat looks completely solid, you can bet i'd find the beginings of something in there.As with the B pillar.

UncleTravellingMatt
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by UncleTravellingMatt »

bluebus1987 wrote: 25 Aug 2014, 22:53 I never realy found out for sure what the colour is. The (bad) paint job was done by the previous owner to the guy I bought the van from. He said he thought it was Matisse blue but I couldn't find a reference to that at the time.

Hi, appreciate this thread is very old and not sure if you have the van anymore but thought I'd add a few comments,
I was doing an MOT check the other day to see if my old Van was still alive, saw it was and after a bit of googling found this thread!
I owned the van in 2003/2005 I bought it as a non runner from a guy in Cardiff, it had a Citroen engine in the back mated to the VW box and was already the blue.
He bought it from a company in Bristol called MAD but not sure if they still exist and it was blue then.
I sold it via the brickyard to a guy in or around Nottingham mid 2005 due to a divorce!
it was solid when I had it and we had some awesome holidays in it.
If you want anymore info let me knowCheersMatt

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

Yeah Matt. Matties van rings a bell. I’m pretty sure I found some of your photos of when it was shiny! I bought it from Andy? In Nottingham who had given up on it after repeated head gasket failures. Did it have the enormous plywood box in the back when you had it?
Unfortunately although the van was as you say generally sound, the paint was over some rust and as I’m sure you know that only goes one way if left. Vans still going strong with its little 1.6td I dropped in when I first got it that refuses to die. I got so far with restoration and pretty much had to stop due to lack of workspace and insane neighbour who pretty much prevented me continuing. It looks a bit sad but had new metal in all the usual places. I don’t think I’ll ever part with it but it’s not getting used as much as it should.
You got any more pictures?

UncleTravellingMatt
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by UncleTravellingMatt »

Hi TimNo more pictures I'm afraid, lost them when the company I work for deleted one of their servers, so rude!  :D
When I had it it had the AMG Merc replicas on and was all nice and shiny, I don't think the paint had been done longI bought it with no MOT From a guy in Cardiff and all it needed was 2 small patches on the foot steps into the van, but only about the size of 50p pieces, all the seams were good and underneath was pretty good, well that and the engine fitting!
The Citroen diesel engine was mated to the standard box with a conversion plate but it had no servo for the brakes, had to make a bracket and belt drive to drive the servo pump to have brakes.  God knows why I fitted that but it came with the van and I was skint!

There was no big plywood box in there when I had it I don't think but it was a long time ago!, I managed to fit it all under the standard metal inspection lid thing although there was a slot cut out on the rear most area by the back door.
I loved that Van, me and the kids had some awesome weekend away in it when they were toddlers, so glad to see you are saving it  :ok
I'm a T4 owner now and have been since selling my old 1986 2.1 panel van T3, although miss my old Scooby Doo Vans as the kids called them  :rofl