my quarter lights and me need help !!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Re: my quarter lights and me need help !!

Post by keytouch »

mbcamper wrote: I'm very tempted with these as I've got fixed quarterlights and I can't get replacement rubber seals to put my van back together after painting.

It would appear fixed quarter light seals are available again.

http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/sho ... sseal80-90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Post by bootie3367 »

mbcamper wrote:I'll be very interested in how you get on with your fitting.

Like another posting I'm interested in this item http://nlavw.com/gb/body/54-opening-qua ... 5-lhs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you get your parts from the same supplier?

I'm very tempted with these as I've got fixed quarterlights and I can't get replacement rubber seals to put my van back together after painting. Rustoleum hates old rubber I'm told. Being able to get the parts for opening quarterlights might be a good way forward.

Hope your remaining journey passes quickly so you can get back to more exciting things :-)

Mark

Yep, I got just the frames from that company (via eBay) I waited until they dropped the price by 10 quid, always after a bargain me,
I already had a set of glass and rubbers from a member on here so it was just a case of a quick clean up and then trial fit :oops:
However, Adam from NLAVW has sent pics of a how to, and yes I can't wait for this voyage to be over either. Mainly because eldest son is getting married at the end of the month then getting back home to play!

The choice is yours now that fixed rubbers seem to be available again! For me there was no choice, no aircon so need all the fresh air possible coming into the cab when driving to keep SWMBO cool!
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Post by bootie3367 »

Apologies but I was not able to get anywhere near the van last time home so no further progress.

I'm not back home now until after the 9th Jan....... I'm hoping that some good Xmas presents will help SWMBO decide to allow me some time with the van so I can get all the small projects sorted out.

As always, pics of the work will be posted when complete.

Cheers

Jon
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

Superal
80-90 Mem No: 12142

Post by Superal »

HI jon,

Any update on this? i am looking at getting the set from NLA VW just want to see how easy this job is? As i have the fixed quarter windows on the van at present.

Thanks Alan
2.1 DJ petrol Homebrew hightop

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

I just bought a complete set of opening quarterlights from NLA VW and they are proving to be a pain to fit. The aluminium inserts for the glass are too big and don't fit in the holes in the glass so need fettling. They are also too long as they sit on a taper which pushes them out of the glass on the other side so the nylon washer and screw will not clamp them glass in place in the glass properly. I am going to use some additional washers to make it all work and a bit of fettling, and some glue on the inserts will do the job. Not just a fit and forget kit though so although the quality looks to be good, overall a bit disappointing.

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

Oops! Old post. Still relevant though I guess.