Overhauling 5 speed gearbox linkage

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zxr750
80-90 Mem No: 13946

Re: Overhauling 5 speed gearbox linkage

Post by zxr750 »

Hello,
Try this link that itchyfeet passed on to me if you haven't already.
http://www.ekmpowershop16.com/ekmps/sho ... -432-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They might have more than one.
I too was unsure which to go for but if you look at the van in the wiki it has a round hole in the floor, mines square so went for the one in the link.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

zxr750 wrote:Hello,
Try this link that itchyfeet passed on to me if you haven't already.
http://www.ekmpowershop16.com/ekmps/sho ... -432-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They might have more than one.
I too was unsure which to go for but if you look at the van in the wiki it has a round hole in the floor, mines square so went for the one in the link.

Thanks ZXR.

Out of curiosity, does the linkage that attaches to the gearstick have something on it that could be needed when selecting reverse?
( I assume if it has, then it would push against the guide bolted to the side of the housing unless you push the gear stick down first. )

I think I need the same housing you have chosen too - MM's van looks to have the rather large raised area between the seats, which would explain the need for a deeper selector housing in his photos.

I have ordered one of these shallower types through the link here now too.

I still suspect I will need a different linkage though - the 4sp one I have has nothing attached that could be described as a `reverse lock` as per this thread from MM.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

diesel 5-speed selection boxes (and we're not talking tasty chocs here) are different from petrol ones so watch for that too. In a diesel theres a marked slope inside the vehicle compared to petrol.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

CovKid wrote:diesel 5-speed selection boxes (and we're not talking tasty chocs here) are different from petrol ones so watch for that too. In a diesel theres a marked slope inside the vehicle compared to petrol.

Thanks Cov Kid.
Do you know MM, and if so, is his van Diesel?
What determines whether a van has the raised area in the cab, where the gearstick is mounted on T25s?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Looking at pics of MM's its a diesel body. My petrol 5-speed doesn't sit up that high. Diesel - high - petrol - low. Hope that helps. The plastic vent cover between gearstick and stereo is also different on a 5-speed and 4-speed.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Thanks CovKid.

Yeh, kinda makes sense.
Mine doesn't have such a pronounced ridge in the cab area either.

I have opted for the 5sp housing posted in the link above by zxr750 which should arrive soon.
I need this sorted ASAP - if I knew it would take so long, and been so awkward to solve, I might have left it...

Moral of the story; If you have an idea for your T25, make sure you know exactly what the idea entails before you start, there are so many variables to hinder your plan..!! :evil:

My problem is that I use the van for everything, not just a toy.
Kind of makes long term issues like this very inconvenient to say the least.
'89 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Mines a daily too. Understand.

zxr750

Post by zxr750 »

[quote="Smiffo"]Thanks CovKid.

I have opted for the 5sp housing posted in the link above by zxr750 which should arrive soon.
I need this sorted ASAP - if I knew it would take so long, and been so awkward to solve, I might have left it...

Just to let you know, ordered mine Monday and it's arrived today so hopefully yours should be there tomorrow.

One of the alloy blocks is badly worn but my set up has a quickshift plate which lifts the lever, surely making the fork miss the blocks.
My question is, are these quickshifters any good?

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a61 ... zvixc3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by zxr750 on 25 Nov 2015, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

zxr750 wrote:
Smiffo wrote:Thanks CovKid.

Just to let you know, ordered mine Monday and it's arrived today so hopefully yours should be there tomorrow.

One of the alloy blocks is badly worn but my set up has a quickshift plate which lifts the lever, surely making the fork miss the blocks.
My question is, are these quickshifters any good?

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a61 ... zvixc3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not heard of a quick shift variant before, but that doesn't mean anything as I'm new to T25s.
I have actually got two new aluminium blocks sat here waiting - so if one of the blocks is ok or in better condition than yours, you are welcome to my old ones.

Failing that, I am sure Silverbullet on here makes and sells them.
( saw that written on this site somewhere. )
'89 1.9 DG

zxr750

Post by zxr750 »

OK Thanks, keep in touch.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Update time..!!

Another `project` that has started - resulting in a question...

Ordered some bits from Brickwerks - turned up as described so not an issue there - the problem appears to me me....
Basically, as I am removing an old 4sp gearlever, and replacing with a 5 sp, there are some differences.

The kit I ordered would be used to refurb an existing 5sp setup, but I am installing 5sp, and therefore there are some bits that I will need to order ontop.

Looking for some help and pointers in that respect:

This is the diagram above, from Haynes book.

Now as I have a new 5sp gearstick, the bits marked `Locking pin` and the associated springs, washers, circlips and rubber boots are not present in the refurb kit. My fault entirely, but I still need to know what exactly I need to order.

Anyone know what I can order - or what the rest of the items are called?
You can see them in MM's pictures.
The bits I require go through the big hole above the forked bit and seem to be some sort of guide / damper on the bottom of the gear stick that isn't on the 4sp variant.

Any advice appreciated.
'89 1.9 DG

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

I think I have found most of the bits quoted as needing in the above post.
The only parts I am struggling with are the small spring and ball bearing as shown in this pic:
( I think they create the `detent` when shifting across for first and reverse. )

Now I may just be having a numpty night, but can I find these listed anywhere......

Any ideas of where I can source, or at a minimum what they are called?
( And I don't mean I need someone to tell me they are called a spring and ball bearing..!! :rofl )

Even if someone has them out already, just let me know the sizes and I will look in a hardware store if needed.
( Ballbearing diameter, spring length and width should do. )

Cheers
'89 1.9 DG

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Re:quick shifts, the pivot point is raised on the lever to alter the leverage ratio, not the lever raised itself. The fork still meets the pyramids in the same position.

Try finding gears on a 5-speed without the alloy pyramids in place!

The pyramids are only available through Brickwerks.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

silverbullet wrote:Re:quick shifts, the pivot point is raised on the lever to alter the leverage ratio, not the lever raised itself. The fork still meets the pyramids in the same position.

Try finding gears on a 5-speed without the alloy pyramids in place!

The pyramids are only available through Brickwerks.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that you made them SilverBullet?
( I am probably mistaken )

You are quite right regarding difficulty selecting gears without the pyramids.
I started on this journey of sloppy gears, only to find it was because I had a 4sp stick and housing on a 5sp box.
( 4sp housing has no pyramids. )

Now, you don't know the answer to the question in my last post here do you?
'89 1.9 DG

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have an assembled 5-speed lever at work...

...and yes I do make the pyramids, Brickwerks are the sole outlet.