steering rack boot

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stephen t25
80-90 Mem No: 11348

steering rack boot

Post by stephen t25 »

Hi all, my steering rack boot has split and have a new one on order, any tips on the best way to replace this would be very much appreciated, its powersteering and a left hooker :ok
TDI WHITESTAR

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: steering rack boot

Post by Aidan »

count threads showing at tie rod end, crack the lock nut against the tie rod end, then remove the split pin if present(original but nylocks are ok) and remove the tie rod end nut and shock, or ball joint splitter , the tie rod end out of the upright, then hold the tie rod on it's flats and unscrew tie rod end from the tie rod, slip the remains of the old boot off the end, and as they say fitting is the reverse.
It is good practice to have the steering alignment checked when such work has been carried out, and lots of copperslip on all the threads is good so any adjustments needed can easily be made

stephen t25
80-90 Mem No: 11348

Post by stephen t25 »

A font of knowledge...... thanks ! :ok
TDI WHITESTAR

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Great step by step guide...I would just add before cracking off the lock nut draw a line with engineers chalk (actually more waxy than chalky) across the threads and likewise track rod end (tipex is another option), count off the turns (screwing off the track rod end) this way when reassembling you will be able to get the track rod end in exactly the same position as it came off and as long as the tyres were wearing evenly before there shouldn't be any need to adjust the tracking afterwards.
Of course the original straps are best to retain the new gaitors but locking wire is a good second, cable ties are a poor third option (if you can't retain the gaitors with either of the first two methods) copper wire out of a piece of 2.5 twin and earth cable makes pretty good locking wire (two full turns around the gaitor)

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Not best practice I know BUT on a manual steering with care the gaitor will pass over the track rod end without taking it off the track rod.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Ian Hulley wrote:Not best practice I know BUT on a manual steering with care the gaitor will pass over the track rod end without taking it off the track rod.

Ian

no difference in power steering or manual rack so you can probably slip it over - I've never had to do one in situ, with the rack on the floor I just unscrew the track rod from the rack fit new boot and refit the tie rod, but you need a big spanner, 27mm iirc, or maybe only 22mm, I can't remember for sure

noggintom
80-90 Mem No: 7868

Post by noggintom »

Hi all,

I did this job a couple of weeks ago and also have a LHD with power steering. Did it exactly as Aidan says with the steering rack in place.

Found the hardest part was getting the rubber over the end of the steering rack (the end with the bigger hole) as it is difficult to get your hands to the back side of the boot next to the transverse beam. After a few attempts and much swearing I managed it.... It helped to soak it in boiling water to soften it (making sure the inside is as dry as possible before it goes on). Not sure this is recommended but makes it a whole lot easier :lol:

I also changed the steering rack bushes and found this a bit harder than expected, maybe as there is less movement with the power steering rack because of all the hydraulic attachments etc. Or maybe my technique is rubbish!.....!

Good luck.
1990 Caravelle LHD 1.6TD

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

noggintom wrote:I also changed the steering rack bushes and found this a bit harder than expected, maybe as there is less movement with the power steering rack because of all the hydraulic attachments etc. Or maybe my technique is rubbish!.....!

Good luck.

it's not easy on a ps van, in fact it's not that easy on any van insitu - it's easier to remove a manual rack and do it on the bench, but removing the ps rack is definately harder than the manual one as you'll have to break into the hydraulics and change the fluid (not a bad idea anyway and do the filter too )

sdelasal
80-90 Mem No: 6937

Post by sdelasal »

Having loosened the lock nut, does anyone know whether it's possible to unscrew the steering/track rod itself, as it goes into the steering rack, - rather than remove the track rod end ball joint on the end of it? Steve

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

sdelasal wrote:Having loosened the lock nut, does anyone know whether it's possible to unscrew the steering/track rod itself, as it goes into the steering rack, - rather than remove the track rod end ball joint on the end of it? Steve

On a manual van the track arm unscrews from the rack without touching the track rod end or locknut, there is a ball joint on the rod where it meets the rack.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

If I am understanding the OP correctly, he wishes to change the gaiter without removing the track rod end from the steering arm. To the best of my knowledge, this is not possible as the smaller diameter end of the gaiter will not pass over the ball joint on the rack end of the track rod.

Hope I have interpreted this correctly. :ok
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

sdelasal
80-90 Mem No: 6937

Post by sdelasal »

that's correct brian - that was my plan. unfortunate you say it does not work. I guess I can unscrew the track rod then out of the ball joint at the wheel end - and the other end will just spin in the ball joint at the end of tha rack. So I don't need to remove that ball joint at the wheel end I think. Steve

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Don't bother fitting anything less than Lemforder, ime the cheap ones (eg. meyle) fail within a year.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

genuine pattern boot will pass over the inner joint of the track rod, but the rubber grommit it sits on doesn't they have to be fitted before the tr end, use a good used boot and the assembly is easy provided your grommit is ok

piratedonut
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by piratedonut »

What Aiden said is certainly the proper way to do it, but I just swapped both of mine without unwinding the ball joints. I just split the joints and sort of 'rolled' the old boots off and new ones on. They're all good. :D