quality parts manufacturers

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: quality parts manufacturers

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

My rear brake cable was too large for the backplate also - trouble is it was from Brickwerks. It was 12.5mm diameter but the one that came out and the hole were 12mm. ('87 van).
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

T-3PO
80-90 Mem No: 4766

Post by T-3PO »

hmmm ... just put a new GSF handbrake cable in this afternoon, it sticks out a little but then again so did the old one, i thought it might settle in further once the handbrake was used a few times ... was it supposed to go in up to the lip?
We're doomed!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Once I removed the extra 0.5mm of diameter mine went home fully.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Yes brickwerks stock the GEmo too, looks like were stuck with it, I'll remove it from the list as its the only option.
member 1168

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

Supplier--------------Parts----------------------Good Quality Mfr--------------------Poor Quality Mfr
EURO CARPARTS----Ball joints tie rod ends------Lemforder-----------------------------Hi-Torq
GSF-------------------Brake slave cylinders--------FAG
GSF-------------------Wheel Bearings--------------------------------------------------------Vetech
GSF...................Clutch/parts & kit............LUK
GSF...................early brake pads..............Pagid
GSF...................2wd/4wd rear cv joints......GKN
?.......................CV Joints.......................?........................................Interparts
member 1168

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Supplier--------------Parts----------------------Good Quality Mfr--------------------Poor Quality Mfr
EURO CARPARTS----Ball joints tie rod ends------Lemforder-----------------------------Hi-Torq
GSF-------------------Wheel Bearings--------------------------------------------------------Vetech
?.......................CV Joints.......................?........................................Interparts
GSF....................Upper Ball Joints.......................................................Unknown/GSF Part no 424VG0080

Just checking van for mot and found both of the upper ball joints brought and fitted less than a year ago from GSF have totally perished and split rubber boots.
Don't recall name on box but part no on receipt is 42415A and GSF Part No 424VG0080. Cost £9.50 each nett with an MRP of 49.10 each! I would expect even poor quality ones to last at least a year. Have just ordered the Lemforder ones from Brickwerks and hope these last a good few years more.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

Iridium
80-90 Mem No: 8990

Post by Iridium »

[quote="pirate-pete"]Supplier--------------Parts----------------------Good Quality Mfr--------------------Poor Quality Mfr
GSF....................Upper Ball Joints.......................................................Unknown/GSF Part no 424VG0080
GSF-------------------Steering Coupling-------------Unknown-------------------------------Unknown/ GSF Part No 433 VG0020

I'm glad I spotted this subject about quality parts, before trotting down to GSF for a steering coupling.

But, the temptation was too great as they had one in stock for £4.95 and I was spanner happy. The bag was handed over the counter and I quizzed the chap about its quality for a few reasons, 1. it looked nothing like the catalogue picture. 2. it came in 9 parts instead of one. 3. You could bend the rubber easy with minimal pressure. and 4. it came in a knotted, plastic bag.

I was assured it was good for the job and that I could return it if not happy, I parted with my money. Got home, offered it up to the original one on the van and it bore no resemblance. Take my word for it.

Ended up buying an original Vw/ Audi Part No. 251 419 417. for £17.00. Quality compared to an unknown.
1984 Camper Tin top DG
1991 Syncro Panel AAZ td

bruce
80-90 Mem No: 9346

Post by bruce »

syncroandy wrote:Really useful list from Baxter.

Are Valeo OK for rads and water pumps ?
Hi, i buy around 5 rads aweek from valeo & other stuff including clutches, good prices & never had a problem....

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

Tidy up....

Supplier--------------Parts----------------------------Good Quality Mfr--------------------Poor Quality Mfr
EURO CARPARTS----Ball joints tie rod ends----------Lemforder-----------------------------Hi-Torq
GSF-------------------Brake slave cylinders------------FAG
GSF-------------------Wheel Bearings------------------------------------------------------------Vetech
GSF...................Clutch/parts & kit............---LUK
GSF...................early brake pads.................Pagid
GSF...................2wd/4wd rear cv joints.........GKN
?.......................CV Joints.........................?.........................................Interparts
GSF...................Upper Ball Joints...........................................................Unknown/GSF Part no 424VG0080
GSF-------------------Steering Coupling----------------Unknown-------------------------------Unknown/ GSF Part No 433 VG0020
GSF-------------------clutch slave cylinder-------------schalburg
?-----------------------Radiators-------------------------Valeo
?-----------------------clutches---------------------------Valeo

gazmate
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by gazmate »

GOOD THREAD

PorkchopII
80-90 Mem No: 9624

Post by PorkchopII »

Who supplies the best fuel hose and clamps??

Great thread by the way!

:ok

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

I think you should be OK with Gates hose. A good brand for clips etc is Norma, but make sure you get just the right size.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Mushr00m
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Mushr00m »

I've been looking around for a few consumable parts & checked JK & was astonished to find the saved URL I had was proof that JK just want your money!

Just Kampers Insurance from a JK shop index Url. :roll:
So "jog on JK" I'd rather use fleabay!
Mike Ashley is not a fit & proper person to own a football club & is destroying NUFC. Please click the link & sign the petition in an effort to unseat this proven liar.
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/getashleyout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

Taken from another thread

Simon Baxter
Beware of the GSF "FAG" branded cylinders.
They used to sell FAG, well, the sold FTE, which is a sub brand of FAG.
But GSF don't sell them anymore although they would lead you to believe they do with all the top brands on all their promotional stuff and whats written down the sides of the van.
What you actually get from GSF when you order a FAG (but really FTE) T3 brake master cylinder is a unbranded blue box with a cheap looking master cylinder inside.
The box has a small paper sticker with the OE part number on followed by "7RL" which for avid readers they will realisie that this is a Vibring item, GSF's own cheap "pooh" Chinese wank that they get made in the far east.
Avoid at all costs, or live to regret it.
Recently I have seen "Jopex" branded items, which is one of the brands of JP Group from Denmark i think, somewhere like that, they are buyers and reboxers of a lot of cheap "pooh" too, which GSF (and others I must add) love.

Now, JP Group are interesting as they do have some good parts, Gemo cables for instance, however I fear that that relationship has come to an end judging by the recent JP Group cables I've seen..
JP Group also do seem to do a lot of silly little parts that other people don't, anyway, they won't sell to be as for the limited amount of parts of theirs I would stock I can't reach the minimum order requirement and I refuse to pad the order out with the other garbage they seem to have.

The ever constant changing supply of the low end of VW aftermarket parts...

JP
member 1168

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I know this isn't a national company, but he does post.
So can I recommend this fella in Barnstaple
Alter-start
Unit 1, Barbican Industrial Estate,
Barnstaple,
Devon,
EX32 9HE
Tel 01271 342587
Fax 01271 323434
Mobile 07768 286628

Supplier of Alternators and Starters
quality service and excellent technical knowledge
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)