A few jx questions

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bryce
80-90 Mem No: 17419

A few jx questions

Post by Bryce »

Me again,

Just had a few questions about my jx engine and replacing the fuel hoses/filter and a few other bits.

I think the pipe diameter coming from filter to pump is 8mm but will measure when I take the pipe off, on mine the pipe isn't clamped at either end and I have a small split. should the ends be fixed using a hose clamp when I redo it?

ImageImage

From reading other posts it seems a good idea to fit a priming bulb on this length of pipe as well as have a transparent section to see any air bubbles. I have managed to find a priming bulb but the only transparent fuel line I can find says it for low pressure lawn mowers etc anyone know if that would OK?

Next question is do I just clamp the fuel line coming into filter when it comes to changing it, then prime it with diesel and use priming bulb to pull through more diesel?

I also have a leak somewhere around fuel pump or possibly injector or lda but everything is covered in diesel so hard to locate the leak. Got a lda repair on the way and a new seal being sent from another member. Can I just go at the injectors and pump with degreaser and scrubbing brush or is this more likely to do further damage to gaskets etc?

Also the pipes between injectors are again not clamped is this acceptable?

Finally my air box has the metal brackets on but is not attached to the van and seems to have flattened the pipe beneath. Looks like I'm missing the plastic brackets from the picture
ImageImage
Can I get away with just ziptying it to the side of the engine bay?

Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any pictures of their jx engine I would love to see them so I can see how they have them set up. Seems to be a lot of info on aaz and petrol engines but not so much for the jx.

Cheers
1987 1.6td hightop

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: A few jx questions

Post by multisi »

If you are doing your own work the Peter Russek pocket mechanic manual for diesel/turbo diesel is very detailed.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Thanks just ordered a copy :ok
1987 1.6td hightop

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Lots in your post so...

You can get a replacement fuel hose from Brickwerks with a translucent section so you can see any air bubbles etc in the fuel flow, and made with 100% bio fuel resistant hose. The end to the fuel filter should have a clamp on it which you can get from them at the same time.

If you fit a priming bulb then my understanding is that you'll also need to fit a non-return valve at the same time. But, remember the JX injection pump is providing all the suction to pull the fuel from the tank, and anything you put in the system adds to the resistance to fuel flow on the line. To summarise, they work for some people...

You should be okay to go at the muck with a degreaser and a brush - just watch out for the electrics in the engine bay.

The leak off pipes between the injectors don't need clamps, but the hose itself might need replacing with new if it's original.

I'd suggest you try and get hold of some replacement air filter brackets - contact Mick Crowe at NWVW - he's a breaker and should be able to source these for you - 07968367046

In terms of JX info:
- there's a fair bit of stuff in the Wiki - link at the top of the page
- the forum search doesn't allow terms of three letters or less, meaning that searches for "JX" will fail, however you can do a site search of the forum through google, such as https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=JX+si ... 8090.co.uk
- the best guide to the JX are the VAG Service Manuals for the engine and injection system - I'll PM you some download links
- you can also find some more technical JX info on the vwdiesel.net forums - you'll need the IDI forum for the JX as it has InDirect Injection

Daniel
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Thanks for the info! I did see that replacement on brickwerks but thought both ends were push on connections!

If I don't attach the priming bulb do I just crank the engine after filter change to get the air out? And do I have to drain the fuel tank to replace the hoses or just clamp them?

Thanks
1987 1.6td hightop

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Brickwerks do other TD fuel hoses - this one looks like it might be more appropriate for yours if it's an early system.

If you're charging the fuel system to get rid of air then it can speed things up a bit to loosen slightly the injector pipes from the heads of the injectors, and then when you see the signs of diesel froth bubbling out from the joints you can synch them up again. Like I say, you may want to fit a bulb but it's not something I've found necessary.

I believe the guidance in Bentley is to drain the tank if you're replacing any of the fuel hoses attached to it.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro