Oilite starter bush - looking for an explanation....

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bigface
80-90 Mem No: 17265

Re: Oilite starter bush - looking for an explanation....

Post by Bigface »

Yep - after a fashion -

Turns over well (with a bit of a leg up from a jump starter), took AGES to fire (seemed to be firing on one cylinder for a while), then eventually caught. 

Now ticks over OK until either the choke comes off (when it just dies), or I rev it reasonably hard, in which case it dies, MASSIVELY backfires, then springs back into life. 

It's the first time it's run in 6-8 weeks so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now, that said I've never known it backfire before. 
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Ok, so, be methodical .
First check all the vac pipes , the one from the dissy to the carb , the one from the carb to the air box and the brake servo vac pipe .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

I have a similar starting problem with my van. I did replace the starter motor a year agobut didn't replace the oylite bush. I has beed fine until recently. Now 50% of the time it starts perfectly and the rest of the time it just goes click and nothing happens. Could this intermittent fault be caused by a worn bush?

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Olite bush normally shows as starter turning very slowly , rather than not at all
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

Bigface

Post by Bigface »

Thanks Mocki -

Mocki wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 11:40 Ok, so, be methodical .
First check all the vac pipes , the one from the dissy to the carb , the one from the carb to the air box and the brake servo vac pipe .

For the carb to dissy and carb to airbox I’m happy they’re good, they were checked replaced for another problem within the last 6 months - I can’t say the same about the brake servo pipe though.

To be honest I’m a bit ‘vanned out’ after lying under it for weeks so I’ll check after Xmas - but if this pipe is at fault could it be the source of my brakes MOT advisories (yet ANOTHER job before I’m back on the road….)?

Cheers.

E D I T - I’ve got one on order anyway. Can’t imagine it’s in the greatest condition.
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Bigface

Post by Bigface »

Update -

Couldn’t stop myself, I went back out and checked it, the brake servo vacuum hose is absolutely shot. Looking at it it’s probably original.

When I get chance I’ll substitute it with a bit of hose to prove it’s the cause, but like I say there’s one on order anyway.

Thanks again. 👍
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

The brake servo pipe will make the brakes hard to push is it’s not airtight that’s for sure .
If that is what your brake failure on the mot was .

Even if the vac pipes were replaced six months ago, you still need to check they are sealed and airtight ( and infact connected , as easy to dislodge when working on the top of the engine or reaching through to the starter from the top )

Let’s hope it is your brake vac pipe that is the cause of all of this ……. You can prove is the cause of bad running by simply sealing it off at the manifold to make it airtight with your finger accross the end or a suitable plug or seal of something like a bottle cap the correct size to fit over the spigot
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

Post by Forden341 »

You could just block it off for now with a bit of the perished hose and a large bolt to prove it runs better.
Obviously don’t drive it like that or your brakes will be awful!

Bigface

Post by Bigface »

So just an update - I replaced the hose today, van fired up beautifully (when I eventually got it to turn over properly). You could see daylight through the old one, and the replacement seems to have made a real difference.

Engine still died when I floored it, but that’s another problem.

Thanks again everyone.
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Check the cone filter in the carb fuel inlet spigot , remove it and clean with WD40 to remove any blockage
After checking the main fuel filter under the van near the tank outlet .

If those two have any crap in them, then odds on the float bowl and Main jet need clearing out too .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

Bigface

Post by Bigface »

First of all, Happy New Year Everyone - may your vans give you bother no more than 50% of the time this year.

An update on the above - cone filter appeared clean (but I cleaned it anyway), Main fuel filter isn't easy to see as the body of it is semi-opaque though there's nothing obvious and it was replaced (I'm told) about 2000 miles ago. I was hoping it was the idle bypass solenoid as the 12V connection wasn't great but even after improving that there's no change. 

Couple of questions -

1. I've let the tank contents get low as I need to get the tank off - could this be a factor? Also the fuel in there will be quite old, maybe 3 months since it had any fresh. Bearing in mind it starts and runs fine initially, but acts up as it warms up... and 

2. When I had the gearbox off the engine was allowed to drop at the front - possible an electrical connection has been stretched or stressed (at the fwd left corner of the engine bay)? I did find an earth connection had broken and one of the coil spades was off.....
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Bigface

Post by Bigface »

So I’ve been out playing most of the day, and I’ve managed to get it running to the stage where the engine was up to temperature and things did seem to improve.

I was adjusting the CO/mixture screw and the idle screw and managed to keep it running as it warmed up, and it got to the point where it was just missing occasionally, and always at lower rpm. Great, all good, I’ll try again from cold tomorrow.

However - the reason for trying again was to check the timing (having been reading other threads). It seems to be out by quite a bit to my untrained eye. I checked it in accordance with the wiki, (although I haven’t got a rev counter) and instead of the ‘v’ lining up with the 12 o’clock crankcase split it was at about the 1030-1100 position. Disconnecting the dissy advance pipe made a difference, moving it towards the 1200 position, but only slightly.

Before I correct it I wanted to consult the hive mind - is this a feasible cause of the missing/backfire? The van ran ok (ish) before the GB removal/flywheel off, bit lumpy but then there’s been the vacuum pipe issue that may have been the cause of that. I can always set it back as found but I don’t want to cause myself more issues by trying.

Thanks in advance everyone.
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Bigface

Post by Bigface »

So whatever adjustments I made yesterday means that whereas before the van would start on the button, now it’s reluctant to start and run from cold - adjusted the idle screw and got it running, and again it was popping and banging. Once it was fully hot it seemed to be better, and I was able to have a look at the timing again.

As I adjusted the dissy clockwise, the timing mark moved toward the 12 o'clock position but the popping, missing and banging got worse and the revs dropped right off to the point of cutting out. I eventually managed to get it somewhere near 12, but only by compensating for the drop in rpm with the idle adjustment screw. One thing I noticed - when I disconnected the vac pipe to the dissy the revs went up, not down as it says to expect in the wiki. Might be a red herring, who knows? 

When I left it it was fully up to temperature, idling and revving ok but I'm fairly confident when it cools down it'll be as it was before. 

I hate the thought of giving in and taking it to a garage to be told what it is, but this is doing my head in.......
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Bigface

Post by Bigface »

Hi all - appreciate my timing may not have been the greatest, asking for advice over the holidays.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers.
1986 Holdsworth, 1.9 DG

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

usually when the brake servo pipe has become porous it causes the left side bank to run lean and makes getting the correct CO2 and HC readings difficult, so the CO2 screw gets adjusted to compensate to get through the mot but at the cost of rising HC and higher idle so idle gets turned in, so it is likely that now the carb is unbalanced now the pipe has been sorted, I'd be adjusting the CO2 screw and the idle speed to a sort of factory setting with the aid of a CO2 meter on the exhaust and working to rebalance the carb.