Smokin'

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Spailpin Fanach
80-90 Mem No: 17276

Smokin'

Post by Spailpin Fanach »

Saoirse, my 1989 van, has, I suspect, taken up smoking in her old age. She's very crafty about it though and I never actually see her at it. Even when I start her from cold, there's nary a puff of smoke. I have tried revving the engine, both cold and warmed up, but no sign of any smoke. I can smell the oil on her breath, though.

That makes me wonder if there's a deeper underlying problem. Is Saoirse becoming an oilcoholic? I keep finding empty Castrol 10W40 bottles lying around the back of the van, some hidden in places you wouldn't expect. Also, whenever I look at the dipstick, which I do regularly, it's always way too low. If I keep adding and adding oil, will she become an addict? Is she lying to me? 

Seriously (is there such a thing?), what is the average oil consumption for the JX engine? I do a combination of inner city short trips and the occasional longer trip of 800km to Kerry and back.

She used to smoke and refuse to start when cold until I pulled the "choke" out. Then she started OK but was smokey. Then I got the timing belt changed and the timing adjusted and she starts immediately now without any need for the "choke". I know its not a choke but cannot remember the proper name. There's a strong smell of oil when I park after a shortish trip of 10km or so.

I'm doing an oil and filter change shortly and wondering if I should use a lighter oil for the winter. I currently use 10W40 mineral oil
1989 LHD VW T3/Type25 1.6TD JX Westfalia California poptop, 5-speed. 

There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Re: Smokin'

Post by jas915 »

I used 15w40 cheap mineral oil in mine all year round. They fo use some oil but not sure how much is ok. Check for a leak. Could also be turbo and just burns oil when on boost.🤔
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Without delving deeper, my recall is that the user manual gives acceptable oil consumption figures…- and it’s quite high.

Off to delve…
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Up to 1.5 l per 1000km is normal, according to manual!! When I was last driving mine regularly I used less than that, but I tried to keep revs below 3000
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Brick
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Brick »

Hi. Is it possible that part of the oil “smell “ could be vapourised oil coming out the pcv valve into the air box? A temporary oil catch tin will soon show up if its excessive. I fitted one to my ex t5 and was surprised how much oil and water it caught! And as previously suggested, get underneath with some rags and look for obvious leaks, oily rear panel etc.