T25 89 2.1 5speed.m full restoration project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Crosby24
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Crosby24 »

Hi Everyone

New to this forum, already see a well of knowledge ready to dive in. Done few classic car overhauls, classic mini complete strip and engine rebuild etc. So am happy doing large jobs.

Bought a T25 few week ago for cheap. Wanted a project. And it ticked all the boxes of being Rhd, 5speed manual, 2.1 water cooled, 2e3 carb, caravelle camper.

Passed an MOT in 2015 and was stored in a shed till now.
Solid body, but needs some welding. Which is no issue.
Clutch slave has a leak so haven't managed to test gears yet, hope to replace soon and test all runs well.
Engine started straight away when buying.
No gunky stuff anywhere and fluids seem okay.
Obviously when got back all the issues have unferled.

Kept starting and cutting out. I primed the carb with fresh fuel through the mesh vent and pipette. Started straight away (whole fuel system obviously needs replacing)
Got it up to temp, testing reving. And sounds okay.

Compression test next.

1 - 6.2 bar
2- 8 bar
3 - 8 bar
4 - 8.5 bar

I know even spread is better than high pressure but it does seem low. Haven't done the oil trick down cylinders. But think because hasn't been ran properly for 6 years could be low as things aren't yet settled?

Oil leak from left rocker and oil filter.

I plan to drop the engine at some point and do all the welding and replace most perishables. Pipes, covers.etc nd probably do a head clean and overhaul. Checking valves etc.

I'm hoping the engine is sound but don't know if there's anything else I should be checking and testing before the drop and overhaul, or a new refurbed engine?

Does this seem like the best thing to do with the knowledge and tests I've done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Crosby24
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: T25 89 2.1 5speed.m full restoration project

Post by Crosby24 »

Just done a cold compression test, with pedal depressed and spark plugs out.

1 - 8
2 - 9
3 - 10.5
4 - 9

Did it cold as the oil leak I mentioned is quite bad.
Oil is on minimum
Didn't want to turn on again
I'm hoping doing a proper compression test and this

If I'm doing a engine drop.
Should I do a generic service i.e
Oil change, water, maybe rocker gasket(this is what's leaking) Oil and fuel filter so so that it has fresh everything in the system before the drop.

I need to fix/replace slave cylinders and see if transmission is okay so will need to run again before the drop

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

The bottom end bearings are normally ok, so a full rebuild - no. Top end only. The heads are the important bit. But wait. Once you drop the engine, it avalanches into rebuild territory before you know it, whilst you could be driving it around for a bit under its own steam. Useful if you’re doing welding etc. Carb could do with a rebuild, start with that and maybe swap the fuel pump for now, if the diaphragm is shot. Fuel pump. £15 item. Fuel lines as you say and the two air vacuum lines out the back of the carb. Do the rocker cover gaskets, they are also cheap and while you’re in there check the valve clearances. 2 turns in once the rocker stops tapping as you turn in the screw. It’s on this forum somewhere but cylinder 1 at TDC and work your way around in brief turning the front pulley (30mm) anti clockwise for cylinder 2-3-4. I wouldn’t bother changing the oil, £20 expense, it won’t affect the engine wear too much if you’re not driving it much. Try to nip up the oil filter to stop the leak. (Just me being tight here £). Those bar figures arn’t terrible, so try and use it for a bit. I don’t want you to start pulling engines as so many never make it back on the road for months, that’s all. I pulled my first engine in week 1 and it only needed a rear exhaust box, the engine was fine … months passed and 2 engine rebuilds later; as I made some school boy errors during the rebuilds. Enjoy it for a bit if you can get it to run. Oh and welcome to the forum. They will be different views on this but don’t take it personally, we’re just passionate about these old things and want to help. A 2.1 with a Pierburg is a very good place to start

... and finally, we like pictures because they speak a thousand words sometimes ^^ black square button next to smiley face with an 'i' in it, to upload photos.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Still waiting for photos :D
:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Not been seen since 24 nov…
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.