Tailgate central locking

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rascal
80-90 Mem No: 0

Tailgate central locking

Post by Rascal »

Having finally sourced a tailgate central locking lock.. I have re keyed tge barrel to match my key but have come across an issue... The motir is installed in tbe factor positioning but the horseshoe part if the lock fouks on the catch when the tailgate is shut. My understanding was the actual catches are all the same.. So its one of two things.. The catch is bent.. Or thr lock (and horseshoe are to far back)
I suspect the catch is bent as the actuator rid for the motor os parallel.
Any ideas?
All photos taken in tge tailgate clised position
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Tailgate central locking

Post by multisi »

The curved part is correct, i have a new one and its the same.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

I understand its supposed to be curved. But it could still be bent. There seemd to be a. Lot of play on the shaft that it rotates on.

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

so after some research there are two versions of the latch. part numbers 251829211. and 251829211 A
there are two versions one with a straight bar and one with curved. (although the part numbers seem to be the same on both, on some online images i have seen) 
ImageImage
I also noted that the previous owner had installed the lock gasket the wrong way round as the part number was on the outside.
which  moves the position of the lock further out.
but as the lock locates to the latch via one of the mounting screws and a locating peg this would not affect the clearance, therefore I can only assume that  non central locking locks  will work on both variations and central locking will only work on  one (the straight version) Unless someone has pictures of their tailgate lock they can show to help me out.
so I plan to purchase  one and hope for the best.
if anyone has one floating around for me to test  that would be most helpful, if not ill just purchase one from the well known auction site..

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I think have a spare latch, you could just bend it a little so it doesn’t foul

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Im happy to pay the postage etc to send and return to try the latch...
Before commiting to purchasing one.
Its a substantial piece of metal and would be difficult to bend.

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Annoyingly seen this now ImageImageImage
Using the curved one.
My tailgate is difficult to shut really need to slam it to engace the second click.
Now im wondering if the striker plate is not adjusted correctly (i know this is whats causing the tailgate to be difficult to shut. But also wonder if its casuing the fowling on the CDL?)

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

There is early and later versions, they do have their own part numbers stamped in  A for the later with curved part . 
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Rascal wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 13:03 Annoyingly seen this now ImageImageImage
Using the curved one.
My tailgate is difficult to shut really need to slam it to engace the second click.
Now im wondering if the striker plate is not adjusted correctly (i know this is whats causing the tailgate to be difficult to shut. But also wonder if its casuing the fowling on the CDL?)

I’d the tailgate doesn’t fully latch then the lock components won’t fall into the correct locations

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

It is fully closing

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Rascal wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 17:35 It is fully closing

Is it fixed now then ?

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Its always closed completly just takes some effort. Its only now that iv fitted the central locking lock that it fouls.. It doesnt stop the tailgate closing its just that its stopping the slider from moving. I will borrow my dads impactvdriver to undo the striker plate screws to make shutting the tailgate easier.. But i fear it will still foul on the central locking. Preventing that from ooerating correctly

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Rascal wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 18:00 Its always closed completly just takes some effort. Its only now that iv fitted the central locking lock that it fouls.. It doesnt stop the tailgate closing its just that its stopping the slider from moving. I will borrow my dads impactvdriver to undo the striker plate screws to make shutting the tailgate easier.. But i fear it will still foul on the central locking. Preventing that from ooerating correctly

am i missing something, in the first pictures is fouling, in the 2nd lot it isnt? 

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

The second picture is an example I found online.. (only other pic I have seen of central locking) and it uses thr curved type latch... Iv just been looking to see i have the correct setup

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Rascal wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 19:36 The second picture is an example I found online.. (only other pic I have seen of central locking) and it uses thr curved type latch... Iv just been looking to see i have the correct setup

yours doesnt look fully locked, open the tailgate and push the latch closed 2 clicks manually, hows it sit?