What's wrong with my clutch?!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VanDave
80-90 Mem No: 0

What's wrong with my clutch?!

Post by VanDave »

Hi all.
Having clutch troubles, the slave cylinder and master cylinder both had slight leaks, so both have been  replaced with new ones, the iffy looking flexi pipe has been replaced with a Brickworks braided one, system has now been bled several times, no bubbles at all coming through, but still the clutch is not disengaging enough to allow gear changes.  with the engine off, all the gears go in, but not with the engine running.
Also the pedal pressure feels lighter than it used to do, as though it's not pressing against the spring pressure of the friction plate. any ideas what is going on? Is it likely just air still in the system somewhere? I have tried a vacuum bleeding pump, and a one way valve method of bleeding. any ideas gladly rerceived.
Cheers.
86 Caravelle Carat. 2.1 DJ

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: What's wrong with my clutch?!

Post by Aidan »

With the slave cylinder fitted how much travel of the lever arm is there when pressing the pedal ? Should be about 10-15mm total travel, from roughly level = 9 o'clock, to 8 o'clock

without the slave cylinder fitted can you move the lever arm below the 9 o'clock position by hand ? what does that feel like and what can you hear from inside the bellhousing

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

Many thanks Aidan, that sounds like a good plan. 
In the past I had a similar problem which I cured by building up the rather worn profile of the 2 prongs on the release bearing actuating shaft with weld, and filing a rounded shape on them. but I dont think this could have worn again so soon.
Will try your suggestions at the weekend and see how much travel/how the lever feels.
Cheers. 

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

Well, finally got a tow to where I can work on the van, there was ample travel on the slave cyl. piston, lever could not be moved by hand at all, so.... off came the gearbox, all looks well with the clutch itself, but a lot of wear on the release bearing 'fork' prongs..
I have built thes up with weld and reprofiled in the past years ago, but there was a definite flat area of wear instead of a nice rounded profile, managed to weld a couple of millimeters of new material on and reshape with a power file, both sides evenly
next weekend should see it back in with a bit of luck! it doesnt take much wear to make the difference between the clutch plate dissengaging and not doing so.
Last edited by VanDave on 21 Nov 2021, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

Got the gearbox back in with a new release bearing, more clutch bleeding, and... it's pretty much the same still. ie, will not go into gear with the engine running, but gears go in ok when engine is not running.
Just reading another forum post by Jonhutch earlier this year, a draggy/worn input shaft spigot bearing was mentioned as a possible culprit for this same problem he had. wondering if this is my problem, what are the symptoms? because I noticed that with the rear wheels off and back end up on axle stands, with the engine running and in neutral, one rear drum was spinning, could be stopped with a bit of hand pressure, but is this normal, or a sign of a worn or dragging spigot bearing turning the input shaft, and would this cause the inability to get into gear with the engine running? there is always the possibility that a stubborn air pocket is evading my attempts to bleed the system and not helping with the clutch disengaging. 
also, should there be some freeplay/slack movement in the clutch actuating lever (with the ball on it) when the slave cyl. is unbolted? mine can be moved about 10mm up and down before you feel it press the release bearing up to the spring fingers of the clutch cover plate.
Is that normal or excessive?
Many thanks for any thoughts on this problem!

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

free play at lever sounds right
grabby spigot bearing will drive the box even with clutch disengaged and will baulk gearshift, usually noticeable on 1st and reverse to start with then affects all gears
can you start the vehicle with gear engaged and clutch depressed ? or does the vehicle try to move/resist starting

VanDave

Post by VanDave »

Cheers, Aidan. 
  Have avoided trying to start with clutch down/in gear but will give it a go. 
Have ordered a new pilot bearing and felt washer (which was missing on mine) and will get the 'box off yet again at the weekend.
Interestingly it would go into all gears with the engine running when off the ground on axle stands, but not when the wheels were on the ground/engine running, van stationary.

I predict more weekend spannering and swearing!