Quick shift kit fitting for diesel vans

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Nick G
80-90 Mem No: 0

Quick shift kit fitting for diesel vans

Post by Nick G »

Hi, l bought a quick shift kit from just kampers after looking at the easy fitting pdf guide on their site. The instructions don’t state that the fitting for diesel is different. In started to fit it but fell at the first hurdle as my set up is nothing like the guide. Anyone know where l can find suitable instructions. I’ve had a search around and this question came up on the forum a few years back but didn’t get any replies.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Quick shift kit fitting for diesel vans

Post by Stesaw »

I'd probably send an Email to Just Kampers to ask them. Petrol is different to Diesel if I recall due to the difference in the tunnel at the front.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it's basically the same just that the turbo diesel set up is suspended under the floor due to the larger tunnel for the radiator. the top of the box underneath thetunnel is basically the floor in a petrol or non turbo diesel van, but you may have a protective draught excluder tube between the box and the bodywork which is in the way, so makes the whole job a lot more of an effort, dropping the box out completely and doing it on the bench would be my advice, disconnecting the linkage and taking the opportunity to service and or repair the guides and forks too, once done you shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time; five speed plungers need servicing and lube and boots renewing, and on both 4 and 5 speeds the nylon guides may need attending to as do the alloy blocks on the 5 speed and sometimes the alloy guide on the 4 speed, the two bushed for the bolt to the linkage at the bottom of the stick may also warrant replacing ime

Nick G

Post by Nick G »

Thanks Aidan, much appreciated. I took a look underneath and found that the guides, forks, bellows whole plunger needs servicing so maybe it's just as well that fitting the short shifter wasn't just 'in the cab' as I would have missed the issues.
I assume that to remove the box I have to unbolt the wide metal 'strap'/bracket that is attached to the bottom of the box and the sides of the tunnel along with the four bolts attaching the top of the box? I would attached an image but can't figure out how to.
Anyhow thanks again for your advice.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

yes that's right the support bracket is additional on the TD and the studs in the floor above with nuts you access from below, hardest thing is working below feels upside down and holding things a lining up the nuts and bolts and washers when refitting whilst lying in the wheel carrier

Nick G

Post by Nick G »

Aidan wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 12:04 yes that's right the support bracket is additional on the TD and the studs in the floor above with nuts you access from below, hardest thing is working below feels upside down and holding things a lining up the nuts and bolts and washers when refitting whilst lying in the wheel carrier
It was a challenge getting the box out lying in the wheel carrier.
Finally got the parts needed for the quick shifter and the gearstick refurb kit along with a kit for the selector/plunger end of the gearstick. A bit of a faff getting the bellows back on securely. One thing I wanted to check. Having got all of the 'bits' out of the kits and having already stripped my old one down I had four springs. Two very obvious where they fit but two not so sure. I have refitted the plunger and bellows using the tapered (less strong) spring and used the not tapered (stronger) under the grub screwed collar on the gearstick. Is that correct or should it be the other way round? I don't want to fit it all back in the van if its wrong :?

Nick G

Post by Nick G »

Successfully fitted the short/quick shift kit from Brikwerks to my 1988 Diesel. Also did a refurb thing on the gearstick etc.
I don't notice a great improvement in lever travel but it is better in most gears with the exception of reverse which is now really hard to find.
Anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if I have fitted something incorrectly but can't work out what.
I'm actually thinking of taking the short/quick shift thing off as I think the changes were more positive before even though there was a lot of lever travel.