fitting a 2ltr Aircooled engine into a 1600 Aircooled van

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mikereader
80-90 Mem No: 14146

fitting a 2ltr Aircooled engine into a 1600 Aircooled van

Post by mikereader »

Hi, 
I am hoping someone may have done this in the past. I am just getting back into my 2 vans ( 1976 2ltr bay window & 1980 air-cooled type 25) after a lay of for many years (for various reasons) sitting in my double garage.
         I have a 1980 air-cooled 1600 van which over the years I have converted to a camper , I also have a rebuilt 2000 engine under my workbench which I would like to fit, but if I tried to fit this to the gearbox in the van there seems to be a difference to the lay shaft, so is there a conversion available or will I need to get the lay shaft either machined or changed.
     The other thing that concerns me is , is the ratios suitable, I assume the van was produced for local delivery work, in which case I may have to look for a suitable gearbox for longer journeys.
I hope someone has some or all of the answers which would be much appreciated,
    regards Mike.  
mickreader@hotmail.com
1980 Air-cooled (at present 1600) Camper + 1976, 2000cc Air-cooled Bay Window Camper.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: fitting a 2ltr Aircooled engine into a 1600 Aircooled van

Post by Aidan »

Mike the input shaft is engine specific but can easily be changed; you probably have a DH code gearbox which has the shorter shaft 287mm long (091 311 105 A) and you need the longer 298mm shaft 091 311 105 with the CU engine, I can supply you with a good used one, new bellhousing gasket and circlip. The shorter shaft is also used on the diesel and TD installations and with inline 4 engine installations generally but with the diesel bellhousing. The gearing of the DH isn't the same as the DK box that was fitted to factory fit CU, it will be quicker on acceleration up through the gears but 12% slower in top gear overall.

mikereader

Post by mikereader »

Hi Aidan,
 Sorrry for the late reply (been busy sorting other things out), anyway thank you for the information regarding the drive shaft and gearing. I am not ready to do this right at this moment but I have your details and when I am ready I will contact you regarding the shaft ect. Regarding the ratios, that's what I was fearing, the idea of more acceleration through the gears sounds handy but the top end (cruising) speed is a bit worrying along with the fuel consumption. Maybe I will have to think about an alternative gearbox.
Regards Mike.
mickreader@hotmail.com
1980 Air-cooled (at present 1600) Camper + 1976, 2000cc Air-cooled Bay Window Camper.

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

the 'gate' hanging off the front won't help fuel economy or the handling  :shock:

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

I have been here several times... :wink:

Frankly the best budget solution is to get the 40 year old gear box overhauled and  at least a longer 4th gear fitted.

Remember ,the CT has a cable clutch, so fitting a CU gearbox with hydraulic is more complicated than it looks.
You will also need to re-route or extend the throttle cable.

If you use the standard CT box you will have great 2nd and 3rd, but will be screaming above 103 kph in 4th... :roll:

This is a 2L into CT swap...

I have gone the whole 9 yards and had a 4 speed custom CT box made by Vantopia. This will feature in a future write-up and video, but firstly I must pass the van (as a standard spec CT) through the VASP certificate in France...
Hope this helps,
Cordialement,

:ok

mikereader

Post by mikereader »

Aidan wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 11:34 the 'gate' hanging off the front won't help fuel economy or the handling  :shock:
HI aidan, I understand what you are saying, but I personally like the look of the bull bars and they also protect my body kit and add a contrast to the yellow. The photo was taken when it was on display at Vanfest in 1999.

Hi Sarran, thanks for the info, I had not considered the issues regarding the hydraulics, I thought the gear ratios would be a problem so will look into your idea regarding the fourth gear upgrade.
mickreader@hotmail.com

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

DH already has the taller 4th gear, it's the low final drive that's the problem, really you want the DK gearbox to match the CU engine