Gear Box Ratios ( 4sp and 5sp )

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Gear Box Ratios ( 4sp and 5sp )

Post by Smiffo »

A few years ago I went through the trials of swapping my 4sp gear linkage to match the 5sp box I had.
TBH it was a right lash up.

What irritated me somewhat was the 'useless' first gear. By the time you get moving you had to change again.
From memory I think it's an ABN or ABM ( I can confirm later in the week. )

Looking at this table from RJES, I'm wondering what can be done, as there are numerous iterations with varying ratios.

Is it possible to alter this somehow?
i.e. Look at the 4 sp which seems to be for a 2.1 Syncro, but critically taller gearing and 80mph revs similar to mine.

Makes me wonder whether the 5sp is worth it IF the ratios cannot be altered much.
Thoughts?

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Gear Box Ratios ( 4sp and 5sp )

Post by multisi »

4 speed is easier to use, i had a good low mileage 5 speed with good ratio but still replaced with a 4 speed and linkage from a DG engine van.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

That's what I'm thinking is the most sane solution.

1st is too high, 2nd too low to skip first.
What box did you end up with? ( Which code )

Is 4th now comparable to what you used to have?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The 4 speed i have is ABD which is fine for local use, our speed limit is only 40 mph, the 5 speed would have been better for higher speeds. The 5 speed was mated to a 1.6 turbo diesel but would have worked well with the subaru conversion i did and could have used 2 gear on the flat to start off but i hated the dog leg complicated changing. A rebuilt 4 speed with taller gears would be good for higher speeds, i have a DK code box from an Aircooled in the other van and thats good for higher speeds but needs mods to fit.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon