WBX won't fire

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lanciaman
80-90 Mem No: 13785

WBX won't fire

Post by Lanciaman »

Can anyone suggest what this might be, please. Petrol WBX, auto gearbox, 1985, 100k miles. In reasonable condition.
Stood unused for 9 months, last week got it out, washed it, did the dash out for new blower fan job. All back, working well. Quite pleased with myself. Moved the van around on the drive, and left it again for the week, MOT booked for today.
But now it won't start. It won't even fire.
I have been over everything, except the timing. Fuel is good, new pump, filter and hoses last year. Got spark. Plugs cleaned. Pump is pumping. Pouring drop of petrol down intake venturi (Pierburg). All looks good. But it just will not fire. Dizzy cap a bit suspect, eroded terminals, but was ok last week. Could it be this??
Given that it was running normally last week, I cannot see that the timing could have moved. I suspected head gasket, but compression test satisfactory, showing about 10bar per pot. When cranking it backfires rather alarmingly through the carb (not burning thankfully). Took the plugs out again after a number of fruitless cranking sessions, they were sooty. Cleaned and replaced. That suggests the fuel is getting into the cylinder, I think. Usually the drop of petrol down the intake is the solution, but not today. Missed the MOT slot. 
What else can I try? Any ideas gratefully received. Regards, Jeff Lawlor

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: WBX won't fire

Post by jrt »

If it was me I would change the dizzy cap and rotor arm, test the ht leads with a multi meter and go from there.
David.
the future is unwritten

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

what does the fuel filter look like ?
How long did you have it running last week ?

Lanciaman

Post by Lanciaman »

Filter is only a year old (as is petrol in tank) and it's only driven a couple of hundred miles, so I assume it's ok. Will check.
Didn't drive it any distance, just manoeuvring around my yard. Seemed to be running satisfactorily and normally.
What baffles me is that it won't fire on the old drop of juice down the inlet barrel. That has always been the answer in the past, makes it run a little bit, enough to crank up some fuel through the pump and away you go. Or not in this case. So I don't think it's fuel. Maybe my petrol is duff...it's freshish. Will try fresh stuff tomoz, saying that. Thank you for a straw to clutch onto...

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

This won't be much help in and of itself, but the one breakdown / recovery I had was like this.
Fuel, spark, but just would not fire.

One minute I was driving, I parked, ran an errand, got back in and it just would not start.
Even recovery driver was scratching his head.

Towed to a garage, turned out to be the coil. Apparently even though a spark was present, it wasn't strong enough.
I still can't fathom that in my head, but it was certainly running again when I went to pick it up.

Basically, I'm trying to say that even though you see a spark, maybe it isn't good enough?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Lanciaman

Post by Lanciaman »

That sounds very plausible, Smiffo. Thank you for the heads up. Think I'll replace the coil anyway. I have a rally prepared mini, and that has a spare built in next to the coil in use. Good call, I will report back in due course. Cheers.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Have you checked the mesh filter in the carb, I vaguely remember somebody mentioning this in another post, could be a blockage there, do a search of topics, do you get a spark at the plugs, ie checking it external of the chamber.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Lanciaman

Post by Lanciaman »

Am getting spark, yes, but now think possibly too weak for combustion. Will replace coil and try again.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Just check that the dizzy is still properly engaged in the drive, and the rotor arm cannot be turned by hand. I've seen this where the offset dog gear on the dizzy is worn, or the engine builder hasn't put the required 2 shims under the drive shaft. (I've had to fit a third shim once.)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Lanciaman

Post by Lanciaman »

Update on my starting woes. Replaced the coil, dizzy cap and rotor arm, and bingo! Thanks to all who chipped in, in particular Smiffo who nailed it in this case. 
MOT this weekend I hope.