Electric priming fuel pump.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Brick
80-90 Mem No: 0

Electric priming fuel pump.

Post by Brick »

Hi, thanks for the add. I have a 1986 1.9 petrol camper named brick. When we got him he was awful to start even after two days stood. Changed the battery for a bigger ampage, new fuel lines, filter and a non return valve post filter. He will restart after five days now willingly but won’t do seven! I put a clear syphon hand pump on earlier and after a lot of air finally got fuel at the mechanical pumps outlet ( fuel filter was visibly full). Reconnect fuel line at pump and he fired up. My question, after a long winded intro is… can I use a low pressure electric pump to prime the system before cranking, and then turn it off and let the mechanical pump take over once started? Or will there be resistance? Runs great and will start on the button until left. New fuel pump fitted recently too . Recent fuel tank, Weber’s, lines etc. Thanks.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Electric priming fuel pump.

Post by Aidan »

You do know the starting procedure for the carb ? Before starting when cold press accelerator to floor and release which engages the choke and lightly primes the carb and when really cold (winter) do it twice to prime the inlet manifold for harder starting

Brick

Post by Brick »

Thanks for the reply. There is insufficient fuel at the pump outlet to fill the webers bowls, cranking and cranking does not help it either. It is a fuel supply fault as a tiny bit of fuel tipped in both carbs and he tries to fire up for a split second. Cheers.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

sorry I don't know anything about non standard carbs, you might find it useful to mention Webers, especially in the post title so those few who have them or experience of them might better help
I've used a low pressure electric pump on a DG with 2e3 running LPG as it helps on change over from Gas to petrol when stationary, so that is an option, but generally I'd be loathe to add anything into fuel lines, more joins = more chance of leak and more possibility of E10 induced failure

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

You would just be better off doing away with the mechanical pump and replacing with the electric pump. It sounds like you pump is on the way out anyway. Electric pumps pump at a constant rate, so are not dependent on how fast the engine turns over, so fill the carb quicker.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Brick

Post by Brick »

Thanks for replies. Its a new mechanical pump and really works well at all speeds if not left over five/six days. From looking at the huge file of receipts with the bus it appears to have been in and out of garages for years with a starting issue, a few googles bought me to this group and the thought of an electric priming pump (which would act as a back up should the mechanical fail). It is a second car tbh so sometimes just want to jump in and go without syphoning fuel up the pipes. All the pipes are e10 compliant. I am worried about causing a restriction on fuel supply with a leccy pump in the off position..
Thanks guys

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Bin the mechanical pump and go for electrical , replace all the clamps with proper fuel clamps . If you dont know the age of the hoses , replace those as well. If its still not starting due to lack of fuel , check the floats.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Brick

Post by Brick »

I did the hoses as soon as we got him. Proper clamps, not jubilee clips. The one joined to the plastic hose was in a terrible state, the old braided rubber hoses. Dangerous at best. Cheers.

Brick

Post by Brick »

Thought I would pop a quick update on the starting issue. New facet low pressure posi arrived today, fitted it to the chasis by the tank. Put a temporary wire and gave it about ten to fifteen seconds of power before disconnecting it…. Second crank and he fired up perfectly! It must be about ten days since last started (I did try a few days ago with no success). Just need to put a proper wire and switch in place now. Cheers.