CU 2 litre pushrod / cam follower question

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Chuggerbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

CU 2 litre pushrod / cam follower question

Post by Chuggerbus »

Hello club 80-90 please may I ask for your advice on a problem I am having?
My CU has always been noisy and despite asking for the tappets to be adjusted when it’s been in for a service the noise has never improved after one....but the engine has never let me down.
Anyway, had another look underneath and rocker covers, bale-arms and pushrod tubes looked horrible so I have renewed all of them and gaskets and o rings hoping to cure oil leaks from tubes and make popping the covers off easier (I bought new covers and arms as the old ones looked so rusty that I didn’t want to risk damaging them in removal and then putting them back on).
All went well but when I took no 1 rocker arm off the innermost stud came out of the head with the rocker shaft assembly.
I tried taking the nut off but didn’t want to bruise the threads on the larger thread so after replacing the pushrod tube I put the rocker back on (slowly, one turn at a time) trying to keep the shaft as parallel to the head as I could manage.
It might just be coincidence but the inner pushrod on no1 is about 1/8 inch closer to the sealing face of the head than the outermost this has made the rocker arm touch the valve spring retainer ring before the adjuster screw touches the valve stem.
The pushrod is definitely in the cupped end of the rocker, (first thing I checked) and I fitted a new stud so the shaft can be manipulated on more easily.
I took the new pushrod tube out and got the cam follower out to take a look and it looks like the solid sort.
Any thoughts / advice please.
As an aside it still oozes oil from somewhere and I am working on the van in the road so it’s all a bit of a palaver especially when it rains.

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: CU 2 litre pushrod / cam follower question

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

The CU engine would originally have hydraulic tappets, and push rods specific to them. If one or more have been replaced with solid tappets, the push rod should also be changed. I don't know, but maybe the solid tappet is a tiny bit shorter?
I would start by pulling a few more tappets to see what type they are.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: CU 2 litre pushrod / cam follower question

Post by ajsimmo »

"The pushrod is definitely in the cupped end of the rocker,"
But is it sat in the cup of the cam follower? It sounds like it's dropped out and sat on the edge. Were all your pushrods the same length? If someone has swapped to solid lifters you should have aluminium push rods too. They are a different length (shorter, I think ).
Anyway, as said above, if you want your engine to be quieter you'll need a new set of hydraulic lifters and matching pushrods.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran