Engine builder like Gowesty in the UK?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

triumph2.5pi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine builder like Gowesty in the UK?

Post by triumph2.5pi »

Hi all

Is there anyone in the UK that builds modified engines, along the lines of Gowesty in the US? Like this for example: 

https://www.gowesty.com/product/rebuilt ... engine-?v=

I don't necessarily need to go as far as a 2.7(!), but I'd like at least a 2.2 with some mod options to squeeze a little more power out of it.
I'm aware of The VW Engine Company and The Engine Shop, but the former seem to be just stock engines and the latter only offer an "off the shelf" mildly tuned 2.2. 
I have searched by can't find anyone that seems to offer this service? Could someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks :ok

1988 Autosleeper High Top
2.1DJ (Pierburg carb)
AAP 5 Speed, 711 Shifter

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Engine builder like Gowesty in the UK?

Post by Stesaw »

Silverbullet and Ajsimmo are the resident builders on the forums. Although I think I recall silverbullet said he stopped building and focused on other bits, but I could be wrong.

If I remember and if you are savvy enough there are piston / sleeve kits out there that increase WBX engines from a 1.9 / 2.1 to a 2.2 that you could do yourself. I think any bigger and you need to do clearance work on the case amongst other things. But you'll probably find you need a new cam as well..then bearings, maybe new rods etc etc it adds up quite quickly! :shock:
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

I think one of the issues with the availability of proper rebuilds, is the difficulty with getting decent quality new parts, particularly things like bearings.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I offer a 2178cc DJ+, with high compression pistons.
Be aware that the AA big bore 2.2 kit fitted by most other engine builders is a lower compression design, with deeper MV style dished pistons, so doesn't give as much power as a standard DJ. Always ask before buying!
Also I have new (subtley improved) camshafts in stock, and use a top quality drive gear (dialled in for correct valve timing, and the correct depth oil pump to match). I'm happy to supply the spec and source of every part used if required, but I hear other builders aren't so keen on giving these details.
The big problem for everyone now is lack of crankshaft main bearings. There's a worldwide shortage, as in there are none. If anyone offers to build you an engine right now, I'd ask to see the new bearings in their packet first.
As for the GoWesty kits, they are all a lower compression style for the US market, so there's little worth in the smaller displacement versions over here, where we already have the 112bhp DJ.
However if you decide to go for a GoWesty kit, I'd be happy to build this for you.
If you have any questions I'm happy to chat, just drop me message.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

triumph2.5pi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by triumph2.5pi »

ajsimmo wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 14:38 I offer a 2178cc DJ+, with high compression pistons.
Be aware that the AA big bore 2.2 kit fitted by most other engine builders is a lower compression design, with deeper MV style dished pistons, so doesn't give as much power as a standard DJ. Always ask before buying!
Also I have new (subtley improved) camshafts in stock, and use a top quality drive gear (dialled in for correct valve timing, and the correct depth oil pump to match). I'm happy to supply the spec and source of every part used if required, but I hear other builders aren't so keen on giving these details. Image
The big problem for everyone now is lack of crankshaft main bearings. There's a worldwide shortage, as in there are none. If anyone offers to build you an engine right now, I'd ask to see the new bearings in their packet first.
As for the GoWesty kits, they are all a lower compression style for the US market, so there's little worth in the smaller displacement versions over here, where we already have the 112bhp DJ.
However if you decide to go for a GoWesty kit, I'd be happy to build this for you.
If you have any questions I'm happy to chat, just drop me message. ImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thank very much for the info. I have sent you an email. Let's have a chat on the phone?

1988 Autosleeper High Top
2.1DJ (Pierburg carb)
AAP 5 Speed, 711 Shifter