VW T25 2 Litre CU Engine Removal Questions...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

reessi
80-90 Mem No: 0

VW T25 2 Litre CU Engine Removal Questions...

Post by reessi »

Hello,

I'm removing the engine, in the Haynes manual it states:

"23 - Undo the nut and remove the long bolt securing the transmission bracket to the rubber mounting."

They do not provide a photo for this step, I cannot find said bolt, bracket or any rubber mountings, can you explain where this is please?

I have dis-connected everything else, removed the 4 nuts to the transmission, so am just left with that mystery rubber mounting bolt and the 4 bolts securing the engine to the body.

Another query I have is when I removed the 2 lower bolts to the transmission which are on studs they were rusted and did not budge, instead the whole stud unscrewed!! 

Are these the studs?:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/double-end ... ssion.html

How do I fit them back in and stop them doing that again?

Also I cannot remove the stud now, there is not clearance with the rusted on bolt, I tried gripping the stud with mole grips so I'll either cut it off or maybe I can put 2 nuts on the other end and grip that to undo the seized nut - any better ideas?? Hard since I can only get a spanner on the seized nut!

Another thing is there is not clearance to fit a socket on, well the socket fits but not the wrench, I tried my 1/2 inch ones, would 3/8 socket fit? Or you always have to use a spanner? I also tried the pivoting join and extensions etc... How can I torque it correctly if the sockets cannot be used!!

Regarding the fuel pump, it states remove the pressure regulator pipe or breather pipe (sorry manual not at home), which pipe is this? There is only the fuel in pipe (removed already), fuel out pipe which doesn't need removing and a small 3 inch bit of pipe hanging down, is this it, should it be connected to something? Is the pressure regulator part of the fuel pump, they talk like it is after saying remove fuel pipe etc...ImageImageImageImage

Many thanks.
Sheffield, England.

VW T25, 1980, CU Engine, Air Cooled.

reessi

Re: VW T25 2 Litre CU Engine Removal Questions...

Post by reessi »

Well I took the engine out today and never found the mystery bolt or the rubber mount they talk about!!
Sheffield, England.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

I think they are talking about removing the engine and gearbox as a unit.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Rosie n' Jim

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

The tube coming from the fuel pump is a breather. It may dribble oil if over filled.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

reessi

Post by reessi »

bigherb wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 06:28 I think they are talking about removing the engine and gearbox as a unit.

Maybe, I'll have a look today and see if the gearbox is on a rubber mount. I thought it wasn't as it says to remove the bolts from the transmission.

Thanks.
Sheffield, England.

reessi

Post by reessi »

Rosie n' Jim wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 07:04 The tube coming from the fuel pump is a breather. It may dribble oil if over filled.

Cool so thats supposed to be a short bit. The haynes manual was mentioning another pipe though but I'll check when I'm back at the van not got haynes here.

Cheers
Sheffield, England.