How long does it take coolant to work it's way into the system?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

carbonspork
80-90 Mem No: 0

How long does it take coolant to work it's way into the system?

Post by carbonspork »

Hello,

I have a diesel auto 85.  Recently, in an effort to fix some overheating, I went to check on my thermostat, and from what I can tell - there isn't one installed.  My guess is the PO just removed it and left it out because it was faulty.  I have one on order, but anyway, on to my point.  During that process, I obviously drained and lost a lot of fluid.  Since then I've noticed the reserve tank empty 2 times.  I don't really drive her that frequently - I live on a tiny island and it maybe sees a tank of gas a month at best.  I did a "test" of sorts on the coolant system, by fitting an air pump onto the resevoir pressure valve, pumping it up to ~20PSI, and unscrewing the radiator bleed valve (to get any air out of the radiator).  I then left it pumped up, and kept an eye on the gauge, and it stayed at pressure, which would make me optimistically think there's not a coolant leak.

That said, I have had to top off the reserve tank twice since I filled it up after the thermostat hunt.  This seems a little strange to me.  I'm also having some transmission slippage in low gear, so I'm kind of concerned maybe the trans cooler is being contaminated with fluid.  Is there some way I can test/verify where the coolant is disappearing to?  No visible leaks in the driveway, and other than a little ugly diesel smoke on startup, everything seems normal (for a 40 year old van with 300KM on it, anyway)

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: How long does it take coolant to work it's way into the system?

Post by multisi »

Dont stress just keep topping up the main coolant tank when its cold and when its warm open the rad screw.  You could syphon some water into the rad if you have some thin hose . Open your van heater controls to let it circulate.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

A diesel auto that's a rarity.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If I did a coolant change on my diesel I had to drive quite a bit for it to "burp" the last of the air out of the system. Not always but it did behave like that quite often.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

carbonspork
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by carbonspork »

R0B wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 15:54 A diesel auto that's a rarity.

I honestly think it used to be a manual at some point.  The moulding around the gear shift seems like it was cut by hand.  Tenth owner so who knows :)