bleedin clutch

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr_nunn
80-90 Mem No: 14273

bleedin clutch

Post by mr_nunn »

hi there.

I finished changing a brake caliper over (an advisory from a recent garage visit) and flushed new fluid through all the brakes using a Gunson Eezibleed pressure thingy.

I thought I could do the clutch fluid at the same time. Found/opened the nipple - but no sign of any fluid at all coming out. I clamped the line and took the nipple out completely to check not blocked and it was fine, but still won't bleed.

Any tips?

Do I even need to worry about this if the clutch is operating fine? It just seemed a shame to have new fluid in all the brakes and not have done the clutch (and could old clutch fluid get back to the brake system and contaminate the nice new fluid?)

Thanks for any advice!

(1981 2L Aircooled)
1981 2.0L CU Westfalia pop-top

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: bleedin clutch

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

My 1982 Aircooled weeped fluid as soon as the nipple was loosened (rubber cap removed too). The fluid looked like a certain Irish stout! The clutch bit surprisingly high afterwards. But I just used a tube into a jam jar. Nothing wrong with simple! 
With the nipple loose or removed, try pumping the clutch, it may have a plug of gunge in there.
​​​​
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: bleedin clutch

Post by kevtherev »

Yes it should practically self bleed once you open the nipple.
It suggests that there's a fair bit of debris in the slave
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)