1.9 waterbox cutting out

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RichK213
80-90 Mem No: 17598

1.9 waterbox cutting out

Post by RichK213 »

Afternoon all, it of a strange one. Took my 1.9 water box out over the weekend. Turned over and struggled to start, though managed to get her going. Drove fine, but drove down a hill 2 mins later and it cut out (typical busy junction). Struggled to get it going, turned over and would only cough once I stopped cranking it. Eventually fired up and was absolutely fine for the journey there and back. I have noticed this also happens going down another road when i am either coasting or putting the clutch in, but luckily i catch it and bring the clutch up and she is fine. 
I have checked the fuel filters (inc the one in the carb - which had some crap in it). It seems happier to start, but i still have this cutting out issue
any help would be great

Cheers

Rich

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: 1.9 waterbox cutting out

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Just read this on line could be useful towards your problem, 

The engine will lose revs when depressing the clutch, particularly on a low powered engine. This is because you are pressing against the clutch springs and effectively applying a brake to the engine. If the engine timing is correct and the tickover speed is not too slow then the drop in revs will be less noticeable. Just a general comment for all types of engines I think with manual drive.

Engine may also have been flooded when attempting to restart after stalling.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

RichK213

Post by RichK213 »

thanks for the reply, interesting about the clutch, never realised that would happen.  The tickover seems ok, although i dont have a tachometer, so couldnt comment on the actual RPM.

One interesting thing i noticed today was that it didnt stall (yay), but when it was still cold, the engine was bogging down accelerating, but again, all fine once warmed up.  

Rich

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Bogging down in my experience was a mix of choke wasnt opening fully and crap in the carb.
I ended up swapping my carb as the arm for the secondary throttle was broken.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Based on my experience with my 2.1 WBX  - I am assuming that your 1.9 has fuel injection, Given that all is well with the injection system etc, a fuel injection engine will compesate for any slight extra load by detecting the drop in RPM and compensate (I think) by changeing the pulses to the air control valve. 
I live on a slight slope and on both my T265 and fucus run around I can use this feature while the engine is in the warming up phase to keep my foot off the throttle when the road is icy - the wheel RPM of course held down automitticaly thus preventing wild wheel spinning. 
I have used this method to drive around Discovery's while they slide gently backwards with engine reving and whels spinning frantacally.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

The OP does say it has a carb.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Dueller
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Dueller »

My auto does this from time to time, learnt not to accelerate from a standing start too hard

Here's a good link on the carb rebuilt and how it works if you haven't seen it already:

https://vwt25.blog/

My van came with 4 carbs and after a lot of trial and error we simply fitted the one it came with back on as it worked the best on the engine after a clean in the parts washer, strip down and rebuild

Since then have discovered my non return valve off the carb manifold to servo has deteriorated so got another to fit, hopefully this will help as running a bit on the lean side which isnt helping and leading to the odd stall

If not i might be tempted to fit a new carb as reasonably priced i think, shame i cant get a 4 barrel Holley on there  :idea:

Worth mentioning that I have a 1.9 DG that i fully rebuilt so a good engine but id ask what yours is like/known to be etc, just another consideration really as i build a lot of engines for air cooled mainly and what we think may be good isn't always so  :|

1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox

RichK213

Post by RichK213 »

hey all, thanks or the replies. I think i will rebuild the carb, as i have no idea when it was last done (if it has), plus the van has done 130k miles

will let you know how i get on! :ok

RichK213

Post by RichK213 »

Hello all, bit of an update.  I removed the air filter from the top of the carb, and watched as the throttle was pressed. The choke flap closed, and a saw/heard a squirt of fuel going into the carb.  I then blipped the throttle, and the rpm dropped, then the van slowly died (after running a bit rough). restarted and did the same, and the same happened.  Next i started it, but left the throttle, and it seemed a lot happier.  Just wondering what is going on.  The engine dying after a bit of throttle (and the idle dropping), seems consistent with the driving issues i am having

cheers 

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

The choke flap shouldn't close fully. James akers has a good youtube series and a couple of videos on the 2e3 rebuild.
From cold if you depress the accelerator once it should set the choke on, as the engine heats up the metal spring should heat up with the coolant and expand pushing the choke til its fully open.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

RichK213

Post by RichK213 »

evening all.  I have been busy rebuilding a carb i bought of ebay, and fairly learning about how it works (give me the simplicity of an SU carb!) All seems to have gone well, and i have set up as per the youtube video. one question i had was the choke cam (or the step cam on the choke spindle). The manual has the cold start setting to be on the second highest step (https://siradventure.files.wordpress.co ... repair.pdf) , but his guide has it on the highest step (https://siradventure.files.wordpress.co ... p-v0_1.pdf).  any clues on who is right :D

thanks

RichK213

Post by RichK213 »

doh, found the answer after all! if i read a bit further, you position the cam using THE second highest step, but then set the cold start throttle gap with the cam on its highest setting  :ok