1600 diesel cooling problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Winchester999
80-90 Mem No: 0

1600 diesel cooling problem

Post by Winchester999 »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have had some cooling issues in the past and have previously blown a head gasket so I am finding it hard to trust my T25 on any distance. I recently noticed that the engine bay was getting very hot but when I checked the radiator it appeared to be cold. On a recent short run - about 4 miles I checked the radiator when I got home and it was only just getting warm from the bottom up although the temperature gauge was just over the middle point. 

So my question is - how long does it normally take for water to circulate and the rad to get hot?    I have a plain 1600 diesel engine although it used to be a TD so has the additional oil cooler and pump.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.   

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: 1600 diesel cooling problem

Post by multisi »

It can take time for the rad to get hot, on a longer journey does the rad fully warm up and if it does have you loosened the bleed screw on the rad to check for bubbles.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Winchester999
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 1600 diesel cooling problem

Post by Winchester999 »

multisi wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 10:58 It can take time for the rad to get hot, on a longer journey does the rad fully warm up and if it does have you loosened the bleed screw on the rad to check for bubbles.

Hi - I did check the bleed screw on the top of the rad and some water did come out but this was only after a short time running.