T25 Ignition Parts/Questions

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pbar
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 Ignition Parts/Questions

Post by pbar »

Hi, I have a 1985 'C' plate T25 1.9 water cooled which I've had for a handful of years, Autohomes conversion (this forum has been brilliant reading in that time), and I have decided to change/service the ignition parts.

I had previously ordered what I thought were the correct spark plugs for my van - Bosch WR7DC, but having just taken the plugs out today the old ones are the NGK 3 electrode type with the thinner end for the leads. And consequently now I've come to order some new leads and a dissy cap I'm not sure what to order, new different leads to suit the Bosch plugs and new dissy cap to suit, or stick with the current styles I have, which I believe are known as the pin type.

Anyway, my questions really are -

Are these differing plugs/leads/cap sets interchangeable with these vans, can I simply decide to go for the non pin type for future ease.

And what would my van have had from the factory, pin type (which it has now), or not.

Will hopefully order from Just Kampers, but confused! Thank you.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: T25 Ignition Parts/Questions

Post by Aidan »

by thinner ends you mean they are just threaded 3mm studs ? the thicker alloy ends on the bosch plugs will undo Imageto reveal the same fixings underneath

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

You van is on the cross over year for many things such as ignition, cooling system, exhaust and fuse box for starters.
Check coil first for pin type or DIN type fitting.

Pin type

Then the leads for correct pin type fitment.

Then dizzy cap for pins.

And finally spark plug leads for fitting against plug. Pin type requires removal of spark plug cap.

BOSCH WR7DC are fine for your camper set at 0.6-0.7mm
Best ones made in Germany and NOT Russia or China in my opinion
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

pbar

Post by pbar »

Brilliant replies, thank you! Goodness me I never knew the ends of the spark plugs screwed off like that, and I'm no stranger to classics, been tinkering with my Capri for years now. Every day's a school day. Anyway yes, that is what I meant about the 'thinner' spark plug ends.

Ahhh, a crossover year, that does explain a few things, the parts scene is quite bewildering for me, because of that then I expect.

To answer the other points - my existing coil, dissy cap, leads, are all the pin type.

So, after reading up some more, I assume that I now require a dissy cap which is the pin type, rotor arm to suit, my new unused Bosch plugs will be ok, and I need new leads which have the pin connectors at least on the dissy end (and both ends for the king lead).

Please correct me if I've got anything wrong. All help greatly appreciated, those posts really have been helpful thank you.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

You have a pin type distributor already?
Get correct leads for this and pin type coil.
Only my opinion but having owned these vans for 14 years now, l have a routine maintenance plan in place. Part of it is my personal preference. However they do seem to me to eat up spark plug leads and rotors. Others may disagree. But thats the whole point of a forum.
Every 5K new oil and filter
Every 10K new air filter and clean/replace rotor. Clean/replace dissy cap. Check resistance of spark plug leads. And replace as necessary. Check/clean spark plug gap.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Oh! And stick to quality parts. I bought VW Quantum leads a few years ago. The difference in performance was significantly noticeable.
MaxStu

pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for replies. Yes, I currently have the pin type dissy cap and leads, so I shall simply replace them for new. Seems quite difficult to buy these things online though, as the descriptions often don't specify what actual type they are.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Cheaper elsewhere. But likely not as good quality.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... d-set.html
MaxStu

pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the link. I did look there but they don't have the dissy cap in stock.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Brickwerks were closed for a few days while they catch up with stuff , so go look at vw heritage , the next port of call for parts . Stay away from JK , they send the wrong stuff out for fun 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174724
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the recommendation and links, it's always good to know the best places to buy from. I've just had a look at that Heritage site, but they don't have the distributor caps either.

pbar

Post by pbar »

Well, I managed to get the parts I wanted, new leads, rotor arm, dissy cap. I took a trip to this place -

https://www.alanhschofield.com/

Good helpful old school place actually.

All fitted and seems ok, thanks again for the help. One interesting thing, the new leads are only just long enough, my two spark plugs on the left (when stood at the back of the van) connect to the two furthest connectors on the dissy cap (i.e. on the right hand side) and consequently the two spark plugs on the right hand side connect to the two left side connectors on the dissy. I assume this would mean my distributor is 180 degrees out?

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Schofields are a very good supplier.
Not the cheapest, but they usually supply the correct parts in a timely manner.

I have never been there in person, despite them only being a few miles from me.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Have often used them for panels and seals. Never any problems whatsoever. I would put them up there with Brickwerks for quality and reliability. They just need to market themselves a bit more effectively in my opinion. Get a staffer to add some conversation to this forum for starters.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

pbar wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 17:20 Well, I managed to get the parts I wanted, new leads, rotor arm, dissy cap. I took a trip to this place -

https://www.alanhschofield.com/

Good helpful old school place actually.

All fitted and seems ok, thanks again for the help. One interesting thing, the new leads are only just long enough, my two spark plugs on the left (when stood at the back of the van) connect to the two furthest connectors on the dissy cap (i.e. on the right hand side) and consequently the two spark plugs on the right hand side connect to the two left side connectors on the dissy. I assume this would mean my distributor is 180 degrees out?

Yes. There is an issue...a diagram for you.

MaxStu