Oil leak on top of engine case

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Oil leak on top of engine case

Post by aknapper »

Hi everyone, 
I'm getting some oil pooling on top of the engine case on the left side near the dizzy.  I tightened the fuel pump and oil breather tower on last week's outing to the highlands, but upon return the 'pool' is back.  Other than checking dizzy etc gaskets, fuel pump spacer etc is there anything else that I should look at to fix this weep?  thanks in advance AImageImage

'87 DG WBX Autohomes Komet hightop
1987 Komet Hightop DG

keynsham1

Re: Oil leak on top of engine case

Post by keynsham1 »

My 1.9 DG leaked from the oil breather tower. it is the black plastic round object just to the right of the fuel pump. It is bolted down with four nuts and it is sealed with a large rubber O ring underneath. It's a common leak point.

I bought a pack of O rings of the right size on Amazon or eBay as I recall for a few quid.

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

Thanks Key - I'm going to pull off the fuel pump and tower and see what the state of the seals are tomrrow

1987 Komet Hightop DG

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

That looks familiar, I may do a similar check and rectify.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

Update:  put new gaskets on the fuel pump and also one on the oil breather tower (since I didn't have a spare new O-ring) and no more oil on top of the case!   :ok  Of course I'm still getting a wee drip underneath which for my bus is back to 'normal', but I'magunna do another clean down under and see whether or not the leaking gaskets have been causing the oil drip issue.
Spent 10 days camping near Embleton beach in Northumberland, then over to Eskdale in Cumbria - fortunately the bus was solid all the way!  Image
1987 Komet Hightop DG