1.9 DG Issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kris2029
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 DG Issues

Post by Kris2029 »

Good Evening Guys,

I'm new to the forum so Hey hope your all good!

I have a T25 1.9 DG it's been having issues with the fueling were the van would cut out if not revved but would also sometimes cut out at higher speeds.

I could fix this issue by blow the fuel pipes through and also the one back into the petrol tank.. this made me think that there was obviously sludge in the old tank at in was blocking the fuel outlet after I'd filled up at the petrol station.

Last week I had new fuel lines and tank fitted.. The van ran without missing a beat on my travels upto Scotland around 500 miles in all. Now unfortunately the issues have started again, it's spluttering and judders while at low speed and accelerating.

The weirdest one seems to be when I take a sharper LEFT Turn it almost goes to cut out?? I'm currently on a campsite in Scotland and have exhausted all my knowledge trying to fix this issue so I can atleast get home safely on the motorways.

Maybe someone could throw some ideas my way, or has had the similar left turn issue?

Thanks Kris

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: 1.9 DG Issues

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Does it do the same when stationary, also have you got visibility of the fuel filter, to see if there is any debris in it, what year is the vehicle and does it have a mechanical fuel pump.  Just a few thoughts to get the ball rolling and help you out. As an after thought how much fuel is in the tank when you have these issues is it a low level.  Stab in the dark but could be fuel starvation.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

I had the exact same issues. I'd have to floor it to get anything out of the van and even then it barely went til it conked out and wouldn't run. That was my first experience driving one. My carb needed a clean out as the fuel tank was no good.

Well if you have a new tank and lines, and it ran for 500 miles then it may not be that, but the carb jets might still have gunk in them and could be needing a clean out.

Or, it could be fuel pump related they can go bad. Either the diaphragm in it is on the way out or the pump plunger could be worn.
Last edited by Stesaw on 13 Jul 2021, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Possibly water in the fuel. Did it run fine after the new tank until you drove in wet weather? Are your filler neck and breather hoses all sound and water tight?
If you think this is a possibility, try a bottle of Wynn's Dry Fuel in the tank.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Kris2029

Post by Kris2029 »

Morning Guys,

The fuel filter is in good condition.

It has had new vacuum pipes on either side and the plastic filler pipe is secured well so I'm not sure where else water could possibly leak in from?

It occasionally runs fine on tick over then other times it won't run without constant light throttle.

When I blew the fuel pipes through I thought maybe it was a dodgy fuel guage reading so I filled the tank again but the problems continued.

It's just weird how well it ran after the tank change for so many miles then all of a sudden the issues start again.

Cheddies

Post by Cheddies »

When everything was swapped did the carb get a clean? Specifically the little filter which is in the inlet of the carb - there is a small sock filter that you have to get out with a wood screw or similar.

have seen similar stories where everything was changed, but gunk in the sock meant problems persisted until it was finally cleaned.

30 second video to show location
1985 1.9 Petrol (DG) Waterboxer. Hightop - Original Komet conversion.