Persistent rocker cover oil leak

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jospanner
80-90 Mem No: 17398

Post by jospanner »

New van (to me), so I've not had personal experience with its history.
2.0 CU Aircooled, replacement engine from ~2004, only done around 30k miles.

When I got the van, it had a small oil leak from one of the rocker covers. The van came with a new-in-packet set of Victor Reinz cork gaskets, so I thought I'd replace both sides. On taking them off, I find that the existing gaskets are rotting to pieces and are slathered with silicone sealant. I do my best to get all of the residue off, and I think I've cleaned all the gunk off now. The surfaces aren't perfect mirror shines, because there is a small amount of very, very stuck residue on there.

I find that I can remove and replace the wire keeping the rockers only using my hands, a tool is not needed. Is that normal? I am not a very strong person, for reference.

Both sides are now leaking oil when the engine is running - a constant drip out of the left, and a small, slow drip out of the right. Removing the gaskets again, I see that both sides' bottom sections are covered in fresh oil.

I can feel air coming out of the engine breather pipe, and there are no other major leaks. I think the oil pressure is OK.

The van also came with a set of wires for the rocker covers. It looks new-ish, but has no packaging or anything else, so no idea how old it is or where it came from.

So, where should I go from here?
'81 2.0 Aircooled CU with 4 speed box

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Persistent rocker cover oil leak

Post by davidoft1 »

The wires ( bails) should be very difficult to remove almost impossible with just your fingers, I would say they need replacement and will definitely contribute to if not be the one hole cause of the oil leaks

jospanner

Post by jospanner »

Just tried the new bailing wire, no good. Same leak.

Do the covers care which way around they sit? It looks like they can sit at either side of 180 degrees.

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

Not all covers are equal, they can (especially aftermarket ones) not seal that well.

Not all cork seals are equal either, espocially if they have been stored badly - worth checking they actually sit in the covers nicely. 

As above though, first thing is to make sure there is decent tension - if you don't need a lever of some sort to get them on and off the wire retainers are too floppy. 

Worth checking that the edges of the cover are square and the whole lot is not warped.

Others may disagree strongly, but on covers I can't get to seal (had one beetle that was particularly bad) I will use a smear (just a smear) of gasket goo (the Loctite black gasket maker from Halfords/euro car parts is fine) between the cover and the gasket - i.e. 'glueing' the gasket in. I found that tended to stop even the most persistent cover leaks, and if you are careful you can get a few removals and replacements done before the whole lot needs stripping off and a new gasket fitting. 

Covers taper slightly, there is only one way up. 
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

jospanner

Post by jospanner »

The bailing wire I replaced was about the same as the one I removed, honestly. I'll look for some loctite gasket stuff next time I'm in Halfords. The wire doesn't seem to press down on the covers in both places, which probably isn't a good sign.

I've decided to splurge on new gaskets, covers, and wire. Let's see how this goes.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

You could a smear of grease to help them seal. 
1983 DG Kamper 2

jospanner

Post by jospanner »

£50 worth of parts later, it's still doing it.
I have noticed that the bailing wire (now nice and tight) keeps dislocating the cover when it gets levered up over it, which is a wonderful decision decision on VW's part. I suppose a few bolts was just too much to ask.

I'm just stumped. Absolutely stumped. I try to make sure the cover is centred, but I'm not sure it's going on properly.

jospanner

Post by jospanner »

Well, much to my shame, I have ended up slathering the thing in sealant. That seems to have got it. :/ Not ideal but it holds.

Cheddies
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cheddies »

If it's a bad fix, but it works, is it a bad fix?

As you say, not ideal - and keep an eye on it, but it saves the driveway.
1985 1.9 Petrol (DG) Waterboxer. Hightop - Original Komet conversion.

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

Odd one this! If the surface is flat and the cover is flat, then the gasket should work fine. So logically, it is either the cover, or the surface on the head which is not flat. If the surfaces are flat, any gasket will seal properly. :D

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Now the gaskets have been in there and covered in oil I flip them over 180 degrees, try not to dislodge the covers when you flip the bails up with a screwdriver. After market covers can be a bit hit & miss though with manufacturing tolerances. Good Luck. We feel your pain.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic