1.6TD JX faulty LDA?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jules18375
80-90 Mem No: 15920

1.6TD JX faulty LDA?

Post by jules18375 »

Can someone please confirm that I'm proceeding down a sensible route here!
Engine is a 1.6TD JX in a 1990 LHD T25

Symptoms. Potters along fine at low speed but no power up long hills. Ends up down in 2nd doing about 18mph up something that is not a mountain! Top speed on the flat is about 50mph. Definitely used to quite happily go at 65.
Saw a video about checking the LDA and mine seems the same: photo and videos. No amount of revving makes the LDA move. I've removed the pipe from it, manually pulled the lever out and then put my finger over the end of the nipple as I released the lever. Just returns straight away. I'd expect it to hold the lever out if the diaphragm was intact.

Diagnosis? LDA diaphragm is gone.

Solutions
1. I've heard people can get a new diaphragm, you then cut open the old LDA by grinding off the flange and then drill some little holes to bolt the new diaphragm in. I can't find anyone selling the diaphragms though. Any ideas?
2. Buy a new LDA. How hard are these to fit? and I can't find anyone that's got one in stock.
3. Anyone got one to sell?

Please let me know if there's more diagnosis stuff to do before changing this but it seems to fit the symptoms.

Cheers 

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: 1.6TD JX faulty LDA?

Post by clift_d »

Dieselkontor in Germany own the machine that makes the JX LDAs, so if you want a new one you would be best to buy from them:

https://www.dieselkontor.de/index.php?cPath=58_59

Be aware that they do several different version, including one with a stronger spring for vans with AAZ or intercoolers. They also sell the repair gaskets, but unfortunately only in packs of five. I think you might be able to buy a single repair gasket on eBay but I'm not sure of the quality of that. Your alternative would be perhaps to find a good secondhand example as they're relatively straightforward to fit.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

pinpointer01
80-90 Mem No: 12783

Post by pinpointer01 »

https://www.dieselkontor.de/index.php?cPath=58_59 for a new one,, ebay for a repair kit or maybe brickwerks. I ordered mine frm the link there are different models for different vehicles and it did take a while to arrive, repair kits were available on ebay, possibly brickwerks.. 
Dave R 
WHO KEEPS MOVIN ME NUTS!!!!!!

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

Post by Forden341 »

I had exactly the same symptoms and before I went GTi I nursed my old JX on by cutting mine open and drilling 6 x 4mm holes to bolt it back together then just temporarily used a bit of rubber inner tube on the pressured side of the existing diaphragm. Worked a treat for 6 months and still lives on in a mates van now. Cost me about £1 and an hour of my time!
May be worth doing to get you back to full power again temporarily before buying the right kit.