Carb Running Issue from cold

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dueller
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carb Running Issue from cold

Post by Dueller »

Hi everyone

Been through the Wiki and cant find an answer to this one

So ive rebuilt my late type 1.9 DG WBX engine and all is good, timed up well, couple of silly oil drips from a broken sensor and valve cover leak to sort but all is good

Problem i have is the cold start on the senders from the water temp, LH side at the rear.

One sender is Black and connects OK with a green plug, the other is a Red plug (Relay in the box clicks) but the sensor lugs are too big for the plug so have added wires to connect the 2 as a temporary measure, cant remember it being connected prior to me removing the engine.

So my van has idled through 10 liters of fuel real quick, literally, hence my thinking the choke isn't coming off, how do i test to check this as the manual choke is fine and comes off ok?

It idles to the point of the radiator fan kicking in and gets hot as expected

any ideas welcome

1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Carb Running Issue from cold

Post by Stesaw »

Look up James akers on YouTube he does a good rebuild video of the pierburg carb. That is if you have that one fitted.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Dueller
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Carb Running Issue from cold

Post by Dueller »

Stesaw wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 15:01 Look up James akers on YouTube he does a good rebuild video of the pierburg carb. That is if you have that one fitted.

Hi

Yes i've seen it last time round when i rebuilt the carb, great blog he has and have recommended others to it, especially the idle cam mechanism explanation

I don't think its a mechanical issue i am having hence my post about how to check the senders are working correctly and switching on/off when they're supposed to

cheers
1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox