emergency spares

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Freddievan
80-90 Mem No: 0

emergency spares

Post by Freddievan »

What spares do you carry on a long adventure?  I'll certainly include a spare aux belt after my last experience (and spare tyre obv)
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: emergency spares

Post by jrt »

I take fuel pump and pushrod, rotor arm, dizzy cap, fuel filter/pipe, vacuum pipe, plugs/ ht lead,water/ coolant, jump starter pack, jb weld,oil, sump plug, bits of wire, fuses… and loads of general stuff. It all goes in a ammo box that we use as a step when camping.
Changed the fuel lines and filter plus vacuum pipes on a mates van when it broke down on a site last month and filled a hole in my daughters vans radiator with jb weld this weekend so it’s always good to carry some crap with you along with your recovery card.
David.
the future is unwritten

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

It depends what you mean by a long journey, and where.

An auxilliary belt, spare tyre, and a set of replacement bulbs and fuses, should be enough alongside an AA/RAC card, if you're only talking about lots of miles on paved roads in the UK or western Europe, and you're happy to be recovered for anything more serious. I also carry a full set of filters (fuel/oil/air), an assortment of fixings, jubilee clips, various kinds of tape, oil, some coolant, brake fluid, and a throttle cable, alongside the usual tools, towing straps, jump leads, etc.

If you're heading off-road, or further from anywhere you can get support, then it'd be sensible to consider more spares, including perhaps at least one made-up half shaft with CVs, a complete rear bearing in housing, puncture repair kit, etc. The trade off is that more spares you carry, the more space and weight they use up from your van's GVW. I have heard of people undertaking round the world trips having a whole replacement engine or gearbox already wrapped on a palette in storage back home, and a friend on the end of the phone who can organise the shipping of it to somewhere. Certainly we've ordered expedited spares from Brickwerks to fairly remote locations in Europe in the past.

In the end though, the best approach to spares is to keep your van in good running order so that you reduce the likelihood of breaking down altogether.
Last edited by clift_d on 05 Jul 2021, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX