Changing the high pressure oil switch

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cheddies
80-90 Mem No: 0

Changing the high pressure oil switch

Post by Cheddies »

Hey all.

Long time lurker, first time question-ner (most of the hundreds of questions I have had have been covered by the wiki/searching!).

1985 1.9DG petrol, 190k on the clock. Komet conversion, based in West London.

I have had a small but persistent oil leak the last few weeks, and have tracked it to (I think) the oil pressure switch behind the water pulley/belt. Checked the BW guide and ordered a white switch, and planning my attack.

So, the question:
Haynes says (helpfully) 'unbolt and bend aside the exhaust shield, then remove switch'

Is this the most sensible way in? Feels to me like removing the water pump pulley and going in from above would be easier? Am I mad to think that/what am I missing?

Thanks all.
1985 1.9 Petrol (DG) Waterboxer. Hightop - Original Komet conversion.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Changing the high pressure oil switch

Post by ajsimmo »

I do them from the top. Much easier with the WP pulley removed, as you say.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Cheddies

Post by Cheddies »

Thanks buddy - Switch here tomorrow so I'll give it a bash when I get an hour or so this week and report back!

Fingers crossed for no more oil drips (for now!)

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

Thats what went on mine whilst out camping the other day. Somehow the mechanic managed to do it from above without removing anything! Image

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1987 1.9 DG pop-top

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Swebby wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 14:06 Thats what went on mine whilst out camping the other day. Somehow the mechanic managed to do it from above without removing anything! Image

I’ve done a few without removing anything, usually a socket with vice grips as can’t get a socket and ratchet in there

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

davidoft1 wrote:
Swebby wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 14:06 Thats what went on mine whilst out camping the other day. Somehow the mechanic managed to do it from above without removing anything! Image

I’ve done a few without removing anything, usually a socket with vice grips as can’t get a socket and ratchet in there
Yeah, perfectly doable without removing anything, but for those with a little less dexterity/patience it's an alternative to remove the pulley.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Cheddies

Post by Cheddies »

Went in this afternoon - in from the top, water pump pulley off and got the sensor out with relative ease using the shortened 24mm tap wrench that I had made for the occasion (another single use tool for the arsenal!).

Took me about 30 mins end to end, but with the learnings I could do it again in 10 - which is good, because I might need to do it again...

Based on the BW guide, I bought a white switch (van is a 1985 DG 1.9 waterboxer). I have just cleaned up the one I took out (it was covered in oil and grot) and it appears to be grey..... Confirmed by the fact that it is a 0.9bar +-0.15 bar part... It was working fine (no oil light) before so I assume that it was right... But according to the BW post that must mean I have a later engine in the van (It had no history when I bought it!)... Or someone swapped it to grey incorrectly.

If it had a grey installed (and I had no issues with oil lights.or the buzzer) I assume I should install grey again, so I will buy and install it when it arrives. Assume I am ok to leave the weight one in for now - it appears to be rated higher than the grey (1.8bar) which I guess just means it will set the buzzer earlier than the 0.9?.

Once installed with the white one, the van runs fine with no oil light/bod btw. I am pretty sure it has also fixed the oil leak!

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

Mine was a grey one with my 1987 DG.

1987 1.9 DG pop-top

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

Well done cheddies.

I've ordered a black one, as photo in post -
(Crank shaft (rear) leak)
even though mine isn't wired in.

Would probably have done second seal change by now,
With a lot of swearing and doubt if you hadn't replied to my post.

Thank you again :ok
Peter
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop

Cheddies

Post by Cheddies »

Well, took her for a decent drive, got it up to temp and ran around for a while and no BOD - so I assume I have enough oil pressure to keep the 1.9bar white switch happy. 

I have ordered a grey 0.9 anyway but will probably keep it in the spares bin unless I start getting issues with the buzzer going off.

Checked the number on the tower and it suggests it is an '84 engine - assuming "DG 170784*" means it was produced on the 17th July 84 (which makes sense with the van being an '85) - so I think the white one would be correct anyway - wither way, it gives me more warning of a problem!

As a side note, the tower was very oily (though it looked old) so I nipped up the nuts at the bottom - they were not particularly tight.

Anyway - long warm drive, no Bod, and no embarrassing drips of oil afterwards - so....  :ok