Starting problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lukeskywalker945
80-90 Mem No: 0

Starting problem

Post by lukeskywalker945 »

Hi everyone.

I’m hoping for some sound advice before going out and buying replacement parts that may not be needed.

I have a 1989 1.9 DG. It’s been sat for a couple of months.

I came to start it today and it turned over but no start. It normally cranks and with a few pumps of the accelerator, starts. But not today.

So, it was turning over but didn’t start.

After a few attempts, it stopped turning over and there was a clunk from the engine bay. Tried it a few times and it clunked.. it sounded like the starter motor was stuck..

I felt the starter and it was warm but not hot.

I left it an hour and went back to it. This time, no clunk, just a click from the relay (18 I think).

The battery is nee and was fully charged..

Please help!

Andy
Little fat bloke who used to be a lot fitter.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Starting problem

Post by TONYT25T25 »

We have had a few of these or similar situations recently, do you use the cold start procedure first iaw the procedure for doing so, the starter or solenoid may have a bad earth or loose or corroded connections so worth checking there also, have a search of the posts there is one quite recently which gives the same advice and with a positive outcome.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

We have had a few of these or similar situations recently, do you use the cold start procedure first iaw the procedure for doing so, the starter or solenoid may have a bad earth or loose or corroded connections so worth checking there also, even if it was turning over as it may have overheated.  Could also be a fuel filter issue if its been standing for as long as you say have a look to see if there is any debris visible in there, have a search of the posts there is one quite recently which gives the same advice and with a positive outcome. Meant to E D I T the previous post hence two about the same subject.

lukeskywalker945

That’s great, thanks for the help. I see a day getting dirty in my very near future!

chris7ian

Post by chris7ian »

Try giving the starter motor a sharp tap with the handle of a screwdriver. It can get stuck if it's a little old or there'd not enough current getting to it. Also consider fitting a 'hot start realy' which takes power from the battery rather than through the (tired) ignition switch
1989 2.1 MV Auto

VW NUT

Post by VW NUT »

I had starting problems similar on my Aircooled t3, when i looked at the starter a wire had worked loose off the spade connector on the top of the starter as soon as i reconnected it stopped relay click sound and turned over and fired straight away

lukeskywalker945

So, I think I’ve found the problem..

We’ll, the multiple problems..

First, the trigger wire had come off so I put that back on and it went back to a horrible clunking sound..

I decided to remove the starter and was shocked with what I found.

There was a washer between the starter and the bell housing that was completely mangled and there is an awful lot of play in the starter motor..

I’ve uploaded a 1min video to show you what I mean.. can you have a look a and let me know if the starter is repairable or if it’s best to get a new one?

https://youtu.be/u-Fw1csn3MQ

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Far too much play. New bearings required. If it is a Bosch starter likely there will be reference numbers on the bearings to source replacement part. No idea what purpose for that mangled washer.
Change the oylite bush in bell housing too

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/bush-t3-st ... etrol.html
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Thanks for detailed explanation, sure to help others with similar issues in the future.