Hello and Help..!!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Evil Elsie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Hello and Help..!!

Post by Evil Elsie »

Hello All,
              My name is Dave and I've been the owner of a 1987 T25 Leisuredrive conversion for a whole week now and i've already got loads of questions.. :D
It's a 1.9DG with the four speed 'box and where I bought the van from the world was quite flat. 
I live in Cumbria and it's fair to say that it's quite hilly where I live so at some point I need a performance upgrade of some sort. I'm no stranger to going uphill slowly as my other car is a 1974 series III Landrover Lightweight (if I want to go quickly i'll get my motorbike out....  :D ).

The engine starts ok but stalls very easily unless I use plenty of revs and quite a bit of clutch slip. It's perfectly fine once the engine has warmed-up. Some sort of issue with the autochoke maybe..??
I've been doing some poking about in the engine bay and would like your opinion on the following;

'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'87 VW T25 1.9DG (or maybe not..)
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC
'74 Landrover Lightweight
:run

Evil Elsie

Re: Hello and Help..!!

Post by Evil Elsie »

There is a small white plastic tube that is attached to what I assume is the vacuum advance on the Dizzy. It’s about 150mm long and open-ended - should it be..??

Also on the body of the Dizzy is a male spade terminal with no sign of a wire to attach. The terminal has a lot of verdigris so probably hasn’t had a mate for a long time... 

There’s also something that looks like a Temperature Sender with two male spade terminals..?? Nothing connected to it but the Temp Gauge in the dash works... 

Tomorrow i'll try and resize some phots that I took today but they're too large to add to the post.

Cheers, Dave
'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Posting picsImage
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Evil Elsie

Post by Evil Elsie »

Thanks Rob....

Short pipe from Dizzy Vacc Advance (?) that goes nowhere - should it..??

'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC

Evil Elsie

Post by Evil Elsie »

Random Terminal on Dizzy body...
'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC

Evil Elsie

Post by Evil Elsie »

Thing that looks like a Temp Sender....
'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Vac advance to the carb and wire off the dizzy to earth. No idea why there isn’t any wires to the last one.
David.
the future is unwritten

Evil Elsie

Post by Evil Elsie »

Excellent - thanks David...

I've just been out tidying up some of the wiring and thought i'd pull the Spark plugs out. They're all a bit too Grey for my liking.... :roll:

i'm wondering if she's running too lean which would explain a lot.
Any idea where the Adv/Ret vaccy pipes go..?? The one on the front of the diaphragm (furthest away from Dizzy) does seem to be connected to something but disappears off into the darkness. Where should the white one go in the photo..??

Also - is there a proper wiring diagram anywhere - the one in the Haynes book is like nothing i've ever seen before and isn't helping me much.... :D

Cheers, Dave.
'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Does that vac unit on the dizzy have two vac lines? 

1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

if it is an 87 van then someone has fitted an earlier engine and cooling system,( cooling system changed in 1985) I seem to remember seeing a DF engine with a double vac distributor so this could be your lack of oomph issue
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Evil Elsie

Post by Evil Elsie »

Thanks - that's something to investigate - i'll find the engine number...

I'm sure that i've found where the spare vaccy pipe goes - it's snapped off flush in the Carb body. I've just drilled the end out and pushed my lonely end in and it fits like a glove.

I'll take the van for a drive later and see how she goes....

fingers crossed, Dave
'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Don’t worry about the vac advance pipe , if it has two vac ports on the dissy , the one in your picture is blowing not sucking, it can be open to atmosphere…….

the metal cross over pipe with the temp switch in it which hasn’t got any wires on is the temp switch that tells the carb heater when to heat and when not to , it should have a couple of wires on it leading to the relay in the black box in the engine bay …..

looks like a peirburg carb from the bit of it I can see so isn’t a df . 
but it’s easy to find the engine number , drop on one knee, open the number plate flap , peer in and directly infront of you , just after the water pump / alternator belt is the oil cooler tower , on the base of it is the engine number 
ImageImage
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Evil Elsie

Post by Evil Elsie »

Mocki - That's superb, thank you very much.

Between mouthfulls I've just nipped and checked - no number at the location shown in your photo. Oh dear...

I'm now trying to decide whether to annoy my wife and go Relay hunting armed with some lengths of wire, terminals and crimper....

Cheers, Dave 
'90 Suzuki GSXR 1100L
'80 Yamaha RD 350LC

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Before getting too involved have you had a look & checked chassis number against what you’ve bought?

As already said that’s an early engine in a late van. Not the end of the world there, but the question would be why has engine number been removed?
If it was a full recon or new case then usually the engine builder would stamp in a new number, for example genuine Volkswagen have a VW within a recycle symbol followed by a string of numbers.

Following that starting with the basics like you are is the right way, check everything connected as should, plugs, fuel, timing. Then you’ll have a better idea of how it performs.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Evil Elsie wrote: I'm sure that i've found where the spare vaccy pipe goes - it's snapped off flush in the Carb body. I've just drilled the end out and pushed my lonely end in and it fits like a glove.

That retard pipe doesn't fit onto your carb as you look to have a DG carb (single vac from rear of carb to vac advance on SVDA dizzy), and a dual vac dizzy as used on DF/DJ/CU but not DG. There is nowhere suitable to connect that pipe.
Nothing connects to the terminal on the side of the dizzy, it's just a spare earth terminal. Some people put an earth lead to it as belt n braces.
As your temp switch is not connected you will likely have your manifold heater (hedgehog) permanently off or on. Neither is desirable, but permanently on is probably worse. If it's off, cold running will be very poor.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran