1989 T25 sympathy & advice?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CaptainPugwash
80-90 Mem No: 0

1989 T25 sympathy & advice?

Post by CaptainPugwash »

Hi All.
Well, I bought my 1989 T25 (1.9 Petrol) 5 years ago now - and had some friendly and helpful advice from the Club here at that time.
Now, sadly, I have to sell the lovely camper.
However, two problems are seriously undermining the van's value to potential buyers:
1. Fuel guage doesn't work (the problem is up at the dash, not the sensor in the tank, fortunately)
2. Speedo sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes does but flickers.
3. Problems changing gears - getting it into 1st and out of 3rd mostly. The stick was replaced after the original came off in my hand. The replacement is not like for like and is angled. Now, often, especially when stationary, its very difficult to get it into 1st gear. And sometime it gets stuck getting out of 3rd (and occasionally it pops out into somekind of no-gear's land).

I'm led to understand that these problems are not easy to sort as the parts are like hen's teeth. The engine is sweet and whilst the van is not in tip top condition, it's got a lot of life left in it.

Hence the title of this post. Any offers of sympathy and useful advice are gratefully accepted.
Cheers all.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: 1989 T25 sympathy & advice?

Post by Aidan »

4 speed or 5 speed, and where are you ?

CaptainPugwash

Post by CaptainPugwash »

4 speed. North Somerset / just south of Bristol.

CaptainPugwash

Post by CaptainPugwash »

Hi All

I'd love to hear any experiences or advice that could help me.  I need to sell my T25 now, but the dash and gear issues are a problem. I don't want to waste a lot of mine and other people's time but I do need to get some decent value on the sale, and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Thanks

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

The speedo is most likely a cable issue and the fuel gauge not functioning is best checked with the dash removed - the speedo function can then also be checked. There is not much that can go wrong with the speedo pointer movement. I have repaired and upgraded dozens of dashboards for owners and seen every possible fault. If you can’t find someone to investigate the dash and speedo problem then PM me.

The gear selection issue could be a number of things and best checked by someone who is familiar with the linkage to see if it is causing the problem somewhere due to wear or needs adjusting/ renewal. The linkage would be my first on the list to eliminate.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

CaptainPugwash

Post by CaptainPugwash »

Thank you kindly for your reply. I will see where your advice takes me.
Cheers