Missing expansion tank?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bryce
80-90 Mem No: 17419

Missing expansion tank?

Post by Bryce »

Hello again!

I have just got round to looking at topping up the coolant on my 1.6jx engine and read up on what coolant to what level etc.

I have noticed I don't seem to have an expansion tank which I think should be behind the numberplate flap, I also do not have a hose connected to the daleck looking cap and have realised by topping up coolant to brim this will probably drench my battery when it heats up.

I have attached some pictures, can anyone tell me why the expansion tank may have been removed and where the missing pipe from the cap should run to? Do I need to fit a replacement?

CheersImageImage
1987 1.6td hightop

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Missing expansion tank?

Post by Cecil »

I think you would be wise to refit the number plate flap tank ,the only pipe to it is a small bore rubber pipe from that darlek cap .
Your auxiliary belt arrangement (water pump and alternator)looks wrong to me ,though I can’t be sure.Maybe somebody else will have an opinion on that.

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Thanks!
Is expansion tank just for the run off from the main tank when it expands from heat? Any idea why it could of been removed in the first place?

I have been getting loads of squeal from the alternator belt and looking today I think I found the wrong size belt was fitted and so was still too slack (621mm instead of 600mm?) even when at the limit of tightening. Or did you mean set up wrong?

Cheers
1987 1.6td hightop

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Why was it removed? Incompetence! Mine was MIA too, took me a while to work it out.

As for belts, I’ve a JX too, I’ll post a photo when I’m next at the van (if I remember…) but I have single pulley on the water pump I think (?) and the single belt goes round both the water pump and alternator. I’ll look at previous orders and see what length I’ve bought in the past.
The set up you have seems to show two belts contacting the water pump, on different radii, which would surely lead to screech.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Sorry, no luck on prev orders on BW, not sure what that’s about. I’ve a belt somewhere. I’ll update in due course…

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

My van  has the single groove water pump pulley arrangement but I found this photo of the double groove water pump pulley arrangement.
I think only one groove of the crankshaft pulley has a belt in it.

Also at bottom of the photo  the little hose going to the coolant top up tank can be seen.

Last edited by Cecil on 26 Jun 2021, 23:55, edited 5 times in total.

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will be splashing out on a new tank and hose then!
I assumed the the top longer belt should be 10x600 from what I found on brickwerks

I think I need to find out what alternator I have to be 100% sure but the belt I have now seems a tiny bit long as still has give even tightened to where the nut is at the top.

I didn't even consider that some vans had only one belt! Guess over the years stuff gets added and removed to the point all will be slightly different. Makes it interesting I suppose :lol:
1987 1.6td hightop

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Just measure what belt length you need don't just guess! That way it doesn't matter what alternator/pulley you have fitted.

For the hard of thinking:   https://durabelt.com/beltlengthcalculator.php
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 09:15 Just measure what belt length you need don't just guess! That way it doesn't matter what alternator/pulley you have fitted.

For the hard of thinking:   https://durabelt.com/beltlengthcalculator.php

Cheers, so if I suspect the belt fitted is wrong and I use method 2 would it be best to have the alternator at the mid point of tension bracket to measure using string?

Anyone know off the top of their heads the diameter and length of the coolant pipe that goes from cap to expansion tank? Found loads of ptf tape on the coolant tank that is there and the threads are stripped so having to buy a new one of those. Topping up this coolant has turned into a mighty expensive job :rofl
1987 1.6td hightop

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Is it correct or acceptable for that belt to be on all 3 pulleys when there is that other belt also driving the water pump?

I don’t think a 625x10 belt is anywhere long enough to go around all 3 pulleys.

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

The hose to top up tank .1 metre will be long enough ,just make sure it is secured so it can’t rub on the pulleys/ belts.

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I've been out to look again this morning and it does seem strange. I have measured the longer belt and it seems to be 89cm. I just assumed the numbers on the belt were it's length but obviously not!

Will post some pictures in daylight of the belts and the numbers on the belt to see if anyone has any ideas why it's set up like this. ImageImageImage

And I'm guessing my expansion tank would fit into these holes if I had one?
1987 1.6td hightop